Ready for track???

Don 231

Hello, I would like to take my 87-T to the track just to see what it will run. I have never run it before and thought i would buy a few things such as a 114-116 chip from eric at turbotweak. Also a Denso O2 sensor from Kirbans. I also bought a RJC powerplate. I know i could use a good set of slicks but i only drive the buick about 500 miles a year and this is the first time to the track, so i think ill wait. Does anyone want to take a guess what kind of times to expect? My Sig has the other mods listed below. Any tips will be helpfull! Thanks Don.

Unfortunately I think you will suffer without some good sticky tires, believe me I know. I wouldnt expect anything better than mid to hi 12's. I'm getting ready to buy a set of et streets myself, good luck.

I would say worse than mid to high 12s WITHOUT stickys...believe me, I know from experience. Street tires on the track does little but disappoint you...

Don't forget to use racegas with that chip! It'll be game over real quick if you don't.

Try coming out of the hole a little slow, get it moving and then mash it. Everybodies right about the tires. You'll be skating like Dorothy Hamil if you come out hard.

Let us know what happens.

Thanks guys, I know i need to put the 342 gears back in, when i first got the car in 1998 i followed the recipe in the bowling green customs catalog that said 390 gears were good for these cars. I will be using race gas also. Thanks again Don

good luck and have fun! (as a first timer with no tires/experience, be happy if you get into the 13's:) )

Try running with the 3.90 gears and see what happens better
tires are a plus. I also have a BGC interc will email you on that.
I suggest maybe a 100 chip first and some test and tune on the
street than move up to higher oct once u get the feel of things.

I assume with that chip you will be draining the tank dry and adding pure C16. With that your minimum boost should be 25lbs. If this is not your plan then get a lower octane chip or run your street chip with 100 UL racegas around 20 lbs of boost.

Don,

I would start with a 24* timing chip and run 110 Cam 2. I have run up to 25 # of boost with Erics 24* race chip and with Reds 107 chip with 0 knock. You can buy cam 2 right in Glen Burnie (on Furnace Branch Rd) or at the track.

Start out slow with the boost because each car is a little different.

After you get tires go with the C-16 and more timing and boost.

Let me know when you plan on going. If I'm not working I'll meet you there and you can try one of my 009 race chips.

Again make sure you get as much of the pump gas out as you can. For good measure I add about a quart of Zyolene when switching from pump gas.

As for the street tires only Launch at 0 to 1 # of boost.

Have fun

Don