Read if you dare… Big Boost on pump gas

TireFryer

The New Kid
So my alky pump died. Big whoop. Ordered another one. BUT… It was a nice day and I wanted to drive my car. So. I did. However. I was curious. With my combo the power is very manageable with the pedal (boost wise) so I wanted to see how much I could go before tickling knock without the alky. Rolled on in second and clicked third. 15..16..17..18..19..20 psi… Still rolling along… AFR had dropped right to my commanded 10.5:1 and everything looked great.. 21..22..23..and 24 psi. Just chuggin along. Converter locked at 105 and I let off shortly thereafter. So yes. I ran 24 psi on 93 with my junk stock bottom end for a full probably 1/4 mile pull.

Y’all might not believe me, I’ll take a log next time I’m out and post it up.

So, did I get a good tank of gas? Or was it the fact that I only had 18° of timing in 3rd and 4th gear? I was a bit baffled. And yes the headgaskets are still in it. No I don’t have water in the oil or vise versa. No I didn’t run octane booster. Yes the alky kit was SWITCHED OFF. I have a new pump that I’ll throw in come springtime.

Interesting circumstances I thought I might share.

Thoughts?

With a slic that's crazy, cai had to of helped some, Ive heard of 20 but damn

With a slic that's crazy, cai had to of helped some, Ive heard of 20 but damn
It was an 80° day too… IAT was 78°… again I think I may have gotten good gas and lower timing… or I’m running it diesel rich and it’s keeping cool…

Double check the knock sensor for proper operation and torqued to 14ftlbs no tape or sealant on the threads . Tap the motor with a wrench while running and see if it registers . I ran my stock GN at 20-22 psi ....... but that was back in the 80's . Be safe !!

It was an 80° day too… IAT was 78°… again I think I may have gotten good gas and lower timing… or I’m running it diesel rich and it’s keeping cool…
How is low end, torquey or not so much?

Double check the knock sensor for proper operation and torqued to 14ftlbs no tape or sealant on the threads . Tap the motor with a wrench while running and see if it registers . I ran my stock GN at 20-22 psi ....... but that was back in the 80's . Be safe !!
Knock sensor works. Wrench test proved that. And I get a half a degree or so on the shifts from old motor mounts

Try it with a fresh set of plugs and report back.;)
ADCA3E25-F377-4577-91E6-0BD34FCB9580.jpeg
A3B97CD1-FAF1-4FA8-A564-85BCA0156973.jpeg
EE0E0309-DD0B-4371-BF5B-2CA4A8960CB2.jpeg

Fresh ish.. about 45ish miles of street driving. Did two wot pulls as described in the first post and this is how they look

Where is the rest of them lol?
Your on a non projectile plug and low timing lots of fuel and low iats and probably got the best unleaded gas left in the country lol.
Motors aren't cheap the minute you get an 87/93 mix things it can get bad fast.
The motor will take it for awile
My friends tr ran a pump gas only on a tsm combo back in the day lots of fuel low timing just like what you are doing.
The result was it would run fine and then get ghost knock and eventually took out the motor.
The cylinder pressure is what requires the octane.boost is just a number that is waiting to get in.
Look at the draggy numbers and see what kind of power you are making.
All in all our 93/94 octane experience in tr's ended up costing us and didnt produce the power.
I'm not going to try to read the plug over the internet but I would make sure your seeing uniform plugs and find and pay close attention to your leanest cylinder.
Fuel pressure and good pumps or pump that is not going to go away in the near future is key also.
Compression test and leakdown will tell you how how the motor is😉

Looks like the timing mark on the strap is getting close to the threads. Pic 1 and 3 appear to show that.
Cut the threads off and look at the fuel ring on the porcelain.

Yes, I move into college tomorrow so on the weekend I’ll pull all the plugs. Did the pull, drove the car into the garage 10 seconds later.

To my knowledge Eric uses a different fuel/timing curve for his alky chip vs his street and race chips. One of the locals went 11.01 at 123 on 20 PSI on 94 octane and 18 degrees timing.

That's moving pretty good.
The 94 back in the day seem to be better pump gas.
My friend ran 10.2s back in the day.
Full weight I dont remember the mph.

Already changed em once as the heads were replaced by me 3 years ago. Wont be doing no alky on the regular. Alky rocks.

Kettering university. Used to me General Motors Institute. Look it up