Re-using RJC gasket after leak

ThikStik

My sleep apnea is winning
Hi , I got a coolant leak at rear pass side and into #6 cyl. Ive got RJC gaskets, with about 3k miles on them. I retorked to 77 ft lbs and barely got a squeek outta the upper rear bolt upon a re-tork. Im pulling head and wondered if anyone knows if gasket is reusable and if so, how to buy the god-awful GE goo that goes on them. Or does rjc sell one at a time? I cant get Jason on fone or email. BTW, Im done and car is for sale, but i do wanna fix it right. Thanks

You can reuse if not damaged. I've bought the sealant on Amazon in the past
a6c77b53b981ba8aef014fddeedc1427.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once you crush the seal lip on the gasket it is best not to reuse, use cometics and be done with it..

If Jason wont sell you just one then buy a pair and list the other one on here. I would not use anything other than a new RJC gasket.

Jason was hurt recently, (Off roading) so may be difficult to speak to.
"goo" is avail on Amazon.

Thanks guys, yea, i figured Id try and buy 1. I measured fire ring at area where it looks like it was dark from leak...it is 19 thousandths, while good ones (other cylinders) are 24 thousandths. Seems so close, but am too worried to gamble on this used gasket. Dayem, wish these cars were made to be turboed from factory.

Bison, man, thats compelling. Mine isnt damaged. I really dont wanna spend $149 ....its always an experiment with these TR's.

This may be a dumb observation but I could see a potential upside to reusing a steel gasket.
Wouldn't it tend to conform to the small imperfections in the block and heads after being torqued and run though a few heat cycles ?
I would think this would be ok as long as it went back on the same mating surfaces that it was originally removed from.

This may be a dumb observation but I could see a potential upside to reusing a steel gasket.
Wouldn't it tend to conform to the small imperfections in the block and heads after being torqued and run though a few heat cycles ?
I would think this would be ok as long as it went back on the same mating surfaces that it was originally removed from.
It does conform. If using a steel gasket the surfaces should be very flat or the seal will not be as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason advised not to re-use. And wont sell just one gasket. Another question regarding the valley/intake gasket...do you guys spread sealant over all intake ports on both sides? It seems that perhaps only the water ports should use it, and the mating to the neoprene strips. Im thinking im just gonna re-use and reduce boost from 10 to 16psi. But damn, one iffy tank of gas and it be kabooya, kabooya again!

If you can repeatably measure a spot that's .005" thinner, there's no way I'd reuse it. Steel gaskets don't have 5thou of crush, so that section would have compromised clamping (or none at all).

Plus for steel gaskets to work correctly you have to have the block and head area FLAT FLAT FLAT. And I don't mean 'belt sander' flat, or "looks flat to the eye'', I mean machined flat with an accurate machine and a GOOD cutter that leaves a SMOOTH SMOOTH SMOOTH finish.

If you don't have that to start with, I'd switch over to composite gaskets covered in copper spray. Those are easy to seal with less than perfect clamping surfaces.

Last edited:
Buy a new head gasket...... Not worth the time invested and the mental anguish if it's going to work or not. Do the job once.....right, then do it twice at double the cost.