Re-upholstering slider panel on sunroof

adoldfield

I have an original, 40K mile '87 GN, with a factory astroroof. The fabric covering the slider panel on the astroroof is drooping, so I need to have it fixed. Does anyone with an astroroof have experience? how difficult is it? what about finding matching material? advice?
Thanks
Alan Oldfield

Astro roof slider

Alen, i installed the factory astro roof on my gn. Chances are if the slider materal is loose, the headliner materal is not far behind. The problem is that the soft,sponge-type padding falls apart leaving the materal loose. Sure is a shame on your low mileage car but this is common.. Purchasing the "exact" materal will be hard,there are vendors that do sell materal that is very close to origional. I know brian at g body sells the entire headliner for of an astro roof,price is reasonable. I'm sure he will also include same materal for the slider.. I recovered my headlner myself,purchased materal at "joann fabrics" 2 years ago,but not an exact match but close. Please note removing the headliner and astro roof is a job.. Some help is nice as astro roof is heavy, i would suggest removing the assy as it will be easier to r&i slider and cover as materal wraps around and glues around to the other side. While the assy is out, nice time to lube cables and tracks, and also blow out the 4 drain hoses..good luck with the project, i will be happy to answer any questions you have..

in the process know of doing mine,defenently easier dropping assmbly,may even want to remove seats,once down just remove the sunshade handle and slide towards rear will come right out.Now i have a question(not to hijack thread)how does the glass come out???i know i don't want to mess with cables because of adjustment reasons any help would be appreciated.jim ps NOS4GN also has material which was avery close match(pattern and color)hope this help(get the clips also because they will break)

Glass removal

Remove the glass surround panel,10 mm head nuts hold the glass in,no need to mess with adjustments or cables..(just lube them..)

Astro roof slider

Alen, i installed the factory astro roof on my gn. Chances are if the slider materal is loose, the headliner materal is not far behind. The problem is that the soft,sponge-type padding falls apart leaving the materal loose. Sure is a shame on your low mileage car but this is common.. Purchasing the "exact" materal will be hard,there are vendors that do sell materal that is very close to origional. I know brian at g body sells the entire headliner for of an astro roof,price is reasonable. I'm sure he will also include same materal for the slider.. I recovered my headlner myself,purchased materal at "joann fabrics" 2 years ago,but not an exact match but close. Please note removing the headliner and astro roof is a job.. Some help is nice as astro roof is heavy, i would suggest removing the assy as it will be easier to r&i slider and cover as materal wraps around and glues around to the other side. While the assy is out, nice time to lube cables and tracks, and also blow out the 4 drain hoses..good luck with the project, i will be happy to answer any questions you have..
Question when you put up the headliner any pointers on how to tuck in the material or if it takes glue around the edge?

I am in a similar situation with my headliner on a 50k mile car falling down and I have the astroroof. When replacing it, does it make sense to replace the rubber seal for the astroroof and is there one available?

I am in a similar situation with my headliner on a 50k mile car falling down and I have the astroroof. When replacing it, does it make sense to replace the rubber seal for the astroroof and is there one available?

I recommend you replace it. I bought my seal from kirben. You can also replace the big one from inside but mine was still in good shape. If you need pictures just text me 562 587-1322