Ran into some bad luck and need a frame.

TexasT

Texas, Where are you from
Well after over thirty yrs of ownership(bought it new and have enjoyed driving it very much), a lady ran into the back of it on the way to work last monday. It will be repaired, and I'm waiting on the lady's insurance to come out and adjust on it.

Gonna need a frame, pass quarter and some other parts, bumper, tail light, cap, filler ect...

This brings me to the question. Can I use any G body frame? Do i "need" a turbo regal specific frame? The car wont be sold in my lifetime, I have two children that love it and I'm sure one will become the care taker when I"m gone. Original is kinked(see pic) so I'm not really wanting to try to have it "pulled" back. Considered doing a frame notch but would not think it would be as strong as a not previously kinked one.

Any thoughts as Im sure there have been others who have been through this traumatic experience.

Attachments

• IMG_20190812_075438_01.jpg
    IMG_20190812_075438_01.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 184
  • IMG_20190812_080720.jpg
    IMG_20190812_080720.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 177
Man so sorry to hear that! Can’t even imagine how upsetting this must be. Hopefully, you can make it even better than it was before!

Speaking of which have you considered back-halfing the car? As that might save you some money in the long run?

I just got through have a discussion with Jerryl about “Frame Notching” myself, which lead to discussion of this post as well:

You know you might consider looking around for an aftermarket frame on one of the G Body sites from a stalled project or the like? As you never know what you might find! I know I’ve seen one not long ago, however, i can’t remember where and it’s probably gone by now as it was a deal. Anyways, sorry about your mishap and good luck on getting her back on the road again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use any g body frame . I used one from a 85 regular regal . Here is alil video I made of the rebuild. When u have it out box the c channel, and do some easy frame mods . These frames are wet noddles stock .

Dude that sucks. Sorry to hear about the accident. That is what i am scared of when I take mine out. Some one texting and driving or just not paying attention.
Hope you find the parts you seek and fix it the way you want.

hate to see that, your always so helpful to everyone , ill keep my eyes out for a frame , turbo frames were specific

Sorry to see this. As mentioned you can use a regular Regal frame. But the turbo frame has a larger rear crossmember to help prevent cracking the upper arm mounting points. So beef it up and don't worry about it. It is a fine time to improve on the stock frame.

Even a full perimeter weld is a good idea. This is where the skip welding of the frame halves are fully welded.

RemoveBeforeFlight

AARG! - Hate to see that!

I'm guessing by your handle that you are in TX.

I have a straight '87 Regal non-Turbo that is stripped down. Frame and body shell are straight. Includes a good MD title.

I don't know how I can help because of the distance, but if I can, let me know!
- Dan

What about a cutlass frame? wanting to do something that is rolling. I have another little project i have my eye on. It has a frame that has been notched. It is a turbo LTD but is apart, body sitting on some pallets. Last registered in 03. Will require a lot of work. But I figured i could get a rolling chassis, slip it under this 'new' one and use the notched frame on my we4. Might even do some mini tubs while we have the quarter off.

The adjuster is suppose to be out today so we will see what transpires.

AARG! - Hate to see that!

I'm guessing by your handle that you are in TX.

I have a straight '87 Regal non-Turbo that is stripped down. Frame and body shell are straight. Includes a good MD title.

I don't know how I can help because of the distance, but if I can, let me know!
- Dan
We will keep this in mind. I haven't done anything yet. Gonna get it "adjusted" then put together a plan of action. This 'new' project is missing a lot of stuff. no drivetrain, no gas tank, no radiator, driver floor pan will need replaced as it is rusted through in a couple places. And some assembly required. I have some plans in mind but we need to see what the insurance is going to do to take care of me. Wife not too keen on another project but it is a rosewood limited, with chrome trim and big puffy seats. Who wouldn't want one? haha

I’ve only totaled out three or four vehicles that I can recall. And I know that this may sound anal. However, I’ve always cleaned em up real, real, real well prior to the adjuster seeing them. And I’ve always gotten absolute Top Dollars for them as a result.

The last one was a new body style turbo beetle convertible that I bought for the twins that got wet in the great flood of 2016. Now, I searched the heck out of it so I knew that I bought the car right (only paid like $6,000) and we only had it for eight - nine months before the flood. However, we got like $12,000 (and some change) for the car when they paid it out.

It wasn’t just the clean up on that one. But, it sure didn’t hurt that it sparkled like a new penny when the adjuster came to see it either.

Good luck with it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to see that @TexasT
Based on the picture, looks like bad luck ran into you, not the other way around.
Let me put some feelers out.

BTW, the damage is a lot more severe than the picture indicates. Proof of the wet noodle GBody frame design. Guys still going 1.4x 60' regularly with it though, which is amazing.

Call Roy Trujillo he has a frame from a 87 T that he was going to scrap. 214 532 2758

It's from a car that I sold him a few years ago.

If the car is totaled as it appears, and the insurance pays out on that you will have to buy it back from them and have it rebuilt per Texas law. That's assuming it gets a salvage title and not a junk title. Junk title means no repair ever, not sure if you can buy it back and keep the parts probably not.

A cursory review of that salvage title law shows you may need a salvage dealer license or salvage vehicle repairer license to do/inspect the work?

Title will always be branded Salvage-Rebuilt if it can be but that shouldn't be an issue to you.

Another frame would have another VIN so assuming you can do motor swaps without inspection in Texas that would be the way to go, just make sure you get some clear paperwork with it.

Just my .02 and things to consider.

Forgot to ask, how's your back? :(

Mine wasn't so good for about a week same style hit, not as hard.