Ran a Mustang at the Track Friday

8UWITH6

Keepin' The Shiny Side Up
I finally got the GN to the track last friday, with the new mods. While I was there I made 3 passes. I was on street radials, 18psi and 100 octane with a street chip, through the muffs screwing around and having fun. While in the staging lanes, I lined up next to a SN95 car, with slicks and skinneys, roll bar, etc. Nice looking, mean sounding car. Well, the guy driving was probably upper 20s and there was a few younger guys hanging around his car. While waiting for super pro to run my buddys and I were standing there BSing while these "Mustang Guys" were doing the same. I overheard them laughing at my GN, making fun of the license plate and such. I started the car to cycle the coolant and of course its very quiet. I could hear the kids saying things like, "man, you cant even hear that POS run, I bet it runs 15s, so-and-so is gonna smoke him." Things of that nature. Anyway, got ready to run and he does his huge burnout and revs the motor. I do my quiet little street tire burnout and pull forward. I let him stage first, then rolled up to pre-stage. Built some boost and staged. I left on about 3psi or so, and rolled into the throttle. I clicked off a 2.007 to his 1.993 on slicks. The boost came in about mid 1st gear and hazed the tires a little. 2nd gear slams and we were dead even. The 1/8th mile passes and Im at 8.19 to his 8.31, had 1mph on him. We got a race here! I then proceeded to lock the converter, and from there I saw him fade some. He did stay on my back bumper, but he couldnt pull me. I ran through the traps at 12.57 @ 112.06mph to his 12.77 at 110mph. Had about a car on him. We shut down and came back around into the staging lanes. His buddys awaiting him, and my buick buds waiting for me. My friend Bryan says, "hey did you just beat that Mustang?" I said something like, "yep, on street tires too." :) The Mustang boys didnt like that too much. Needless to say, they didnt say a word the rest of the night. Gotta love that!!!!!!! Oh yeah, and I drove home too, Mustang rode on a trailer. Just thought Id share! It made my night!

PS-made one more pass that night, 12.42 at 112.02mph, 1.94 60ft on radials. The car is faster now in "street" trim then it was before in full race, slicks, etc. I cant wait to tune it in some more, throw on slicks and run 24psi. :D

AWESOME!!!! I can't wait until I learn more and take my stock TR to the track! I should be good for high 13s :D :D or is that asking too much stock? anyway...'nuff about me, NICE RUN!!!!! hahahaha icing ont he cake -- driving home!! sweetness

I ran my turbo trans am, 1/8 mile only. It was 1.9 60ft, 8.1@88.5 mph on 17lbs with street chip as well. I figured it was about a 12.5 1/4. What was ur mph in the 1/8? Just to get an idea of where im at. Nice kill!! Gotta love the v6

Ya gotta love beating trailered race cars when your race prep was turning off the AC. :D

Almost had the same thing happen to me. I raced against a trilered Camaro (1st gen) and was ahead the entire race (17's wheels w/ tires at full psi, in 4th (couldnt break anything)) and I was turning the alky nossle more and more, then at the very end of the track the GN shifted into 4th and too much alky and bogged me down.:mad: I was still happy, almost beat a race car with my street car. BTW, sweet kill.

Nick

Good job Neil.

Glad to hear about those smart AZZ ford guy's getting smoked.

I know they don't take it very well, And since I work at the Ford plant I have seen my share when I have drove the car to work.

Its funny they don't want to race any more, I even had two guy's sell their brand new Cobras after raceing me for Camaro's

PS you guy's didn't see my Dad out there did you, hey drives the 33 Chevy in my avtar. Just wandering what he is running now

Originally posted by 8UWITH6
[ My friend Bryan says, "hey did you just beat that Mustang?" I said something like, "yep, on street tires too." :) The Mustang boys didnt like that too much. Needless to say, they didnt say a word the rest of the night. Gotta love that!!!!!!! Oh yeah, and I drove home too, Mustang rode on a trailer. Just thought Id share! It made my night!

You just gotta love it. Nice kill!

It used to be that way here at the local 1/8 mile, but there are so many TR's that run there on a constant basis we now just have to run each other.:D

Very very nice, I run a mustang but am not like most of the stang owners that think because its a mustang it is unbeatable. Good to see you put that trailer queen and his buddies in place.

We were out at the track this weekend with my buddies '67 Camaro, 540ci, nitrous, full bodied, exhaust and driven to the track on 31"x13.5" QTP's. Threw in some race gas and dropped the slicks pressure down, clicked off a 8.95@155 and then backed it up with a 8.91@155, ran faster than 90% of all the cars there. Put pump gas back in it and drove home in a slight drizzle passing the trailer queens.

Brian

Originally posted by 8UWITH6
I finally got the GN to the track last friday, with the new mods. While I was there I made 3 passes. I was on street radials, 18psi and 100 octane with a street chip, through the muffs screwing around and having fun. While in the staging lanes, I lined up next to a SN95 car, with slicks and skinneys, roll bar, etc. Nice looking, mean sounding car. Well, the guy driving was probably upper 20s and there was a few younger guys hanging around his car. While waiting for super pro to run my buddys and I were standing there BSing while these "Mustang Guys" were doing the same. I overheard them laughing at my GN, making fun of the license plate and such. I started the car to cycle the coolant and of course its very quiet. I could hear the kids saying things like, "man, you cant even hear that POS run, I bet it runs 15s, so-and-so is gonna smoke him." Things of that nature. Anyway, got ready to run and he does his huge burnout and revs the motor. I do my quiet little street tire burnout and pull forward. I let him stage first, then rolled up to pre-stage. Built some boost and staged. I left on about 3psi or so, and rolled into the throttle. I clicked off a 2.007 to his 1.993 on slicks. The boost came in about mid 1st gear and hazed the tires a little. 2nd gear slams and we were dead even. The 1/8th mile passes and Im at 8.19 to his 8.31, had 1mph on him. We got a race here! I then proceeded to lock the converter, and from there I saw him fade some. He did stay on my back bumper, but he couldnt pull me. I ran through the traps at 12.57 @ 112.06mph to his 12.77 at 110mph. Had about a car on him. We shut down and came back around into the staging lanes. His buddys awaiting him, and my buick buds waiting for me. My friend Bryan says, "hey did you just beat that Mustang?" I said something like, "yep, on street tires too." :) The Mustang boys didnt like that too much. Needless to say, they didnt say a word the rest of the night. Gotta love that!!!!!!! Oh yeah, and I drove home too, Mustang rode on a trailer. Just thought Id share! It made my night!

PS-made one more pass that night, 12.42 at 112.02mph, 1.94 60ft on radials. The car is faster now in "street" trim then it was before in full race, slicks, etc. I cant wait to tune it in some more, throw on slicks and run 24psi. :D

Classic story. :D

Ignorance is bliss, until in slaps you in face...