ram air hood

FastTurb

I'm going to try some things to get more fresh air to the intercooler. I know I could go with the front mount but instead I have a stretched stock location. I'm not trying to get more of the hottest air from the road surface. So my vision is a hood like the Subaru WRX has. Big open mouth right at the grill/header line and plumbing behind it to the intercooler. The other thing that got me thinking this way was the guy saying he was building a camaro with the a TR motor and was putting the intercooler ON THE HOOD. THAT'S THE IDEA.

So anyone out there willing to mold a WRX on top of my TR hood or build me a TR hood with a big mouth in the front? Looking for lots of cool air. Remember the '72 Roadrunner with the air grabber? Can be that hard :D :D

Hi. I'm working with a couple people on a carbon fibre hood for the GN. We just completed two different scoops for WRX hoods. I'll check and see if they are interested in doing a special hood or just molding a scoop to your stock hood.

Rod

please dont make a carbon fibre hood for gns. please. maintain the respect the cars earned. whats next neon and wings?

uh oh another purist ;)

geez well maybe my 649 mile white '87 "T" with its 16 year old oil in the pan and air in the tires is getting its earned respect.:eek:

or maybe trying to keeps one of its brothers with over 210,000 miles up and running with trying some neon on the bottom, big loud radio, big tires and 3' exhaust to have some FUN is showing it respect I THINK

and then there is the light weight - with few options, no AC, plus big cam, big turbo, big intercooler, big fuel pump, bigger pistons, bigger injectors:p :p sure gets its share of respect.

oh and I almost forget the mild ride - the Blue '87 "T" with some upgrades but nothing massive. No wings or neon, more stock than not . Plenty of options plus CD player and minor adds and tweaks to motor compartment - makes it feel like a decent amount of respect here too.:rolleyes:

so I bought number one brand new in May '86, ordered and took delivery of number two in November '86. Before most people even knew what a t-type or "T" was I owned 2. Two years later bought number 3 and 4 when the rest of the world starting "respecting" the cars (and creating "clubs")

with a total of over one half a million miles on 3 of my Turbo Buicks and one with 649 original miles, I don't need any lecture on respecting them.:) They are part of my family for the past 17

seventeen years.

Carbon Fibre is paintable, and the cf gn replica hood is soo close when painted that, except for the best eyes, most wouldn't know the difference. Oh, they weigh in at 10lbs.

Rod

damn....i got told. just got out of the import scene am just scared of it leaking into other areas...its just really bad here. i even had a cop tell me that "we" needed more cars like my chevelle at the street races. come down for a visit and im sure you'll get a little worried too.

Quality carbon fiber is vastly preferable over fiberglass, any day! :)

I hope CF hoods, fenders, trunklids, and even doors are easily available for TRs this year! :)

Yes, I understand the concerns. The import scene is nuts here, too. I am working on getting a bunch of TR parts for us in paintable CF. This is generally cheaper, with the weight savings and stealthy.

Rod

Probably not a problem. We are looking at a bunch of options. Most of the Monte Carlo SS guys are looking at 3" cowls.

Rod

Who makes a lightwieght after market hood?

I'm talking about the turbo hood. Who makes one? How much are they? Thanks,

I just happened to be looking at this thread and it's a little old. I wanted to reply to two lane asking about c.f. parts. Well I remember looking at a catolog from modern muscle (mike licht) probably around 93 or 94 and they had a vendor that had complete GN bodies for like $6000.00 that only weighed around 170# they had doors, hoods,trunk lids,fenders,bumpers. Maybe Mike could tell you who they were and if they're still in business.