rag joint

jlat

hello people; You know they call the steering shaft joint a rag. Is it suppose to help in vibration ? If done a lot of things to my 86T mostly fairly close together and the jeep steering shaft being one. I feel a vibration that was not there in the past and I think the jeep shaft might be the issue. The vib. is in the steering wheel.
IBBY

The rag joint is for several reasons. It reduces the hydraulic noise from the P/S system. It eliminates bind due to slight misalignment, and reduces vibration.

RemoveBeforeFlight

hello Rmv; I kinda figured it's does what you say......So with the jeep shaft in there application those thoughts are not needed? It's there new rag joints sold for the TB?
IBBY

yes, the rag joint is available new and the old one gets the rivets drilled out and nut and bolts replace those rivets, I opted for the new rag joint instead of the jeep shaft for all of RMJ's points, as my car is a driver and not built solely for the track.

hello Rmv; I kinda figured it's does what you say......So with the jeep shaft in there application those thoughts are not needed? It's there new rag joints sold for the TB?
IBBY

The Jeep shaft should have a rubber isolater. Maybe the two pieces separated by it are touching.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Here are a couple of pictures showing it...

JeepShaft_2961a.jpg JeepShaft_2960a.jpg

RemoveBeforeFlight

hello Rmv; ; Thanks for the pics. I'm going to look into it. I've been taking my 86T to work on weekends (60 miles round trip mostly hyway) and the vib. is not that bad but it is there and in the 90MPH range I feel it more.
IBBY
thanks again

At what point can it be the drive shaft balance ? Seems like at 70 MPH or so, I get the vibration and I have done many checks and rebalancing of the wheels.

Front end is rebuilt
tires are new (helped most of all)