Radio options

eagleguy

Curious as to what you guys have done to upgrade just the speakers or the radio as well in T-Types, Turbo T’s and GN’s with the standard radio and four speaker setup. Is it wise to dig into the dash and pull out the OEM speakers or will the plastic crack? If it’s OK what is a good recommended replacement speaker for the front and the rear 4 X10’s?

Last edited:
Stock radio set up has 2 small dash speakers 4" (IIRC) and 2 4x10's in the rear. ----------------------------------------- (4 speakers total)
Upgraded CSII- has the same as above along with 2 speakers in the lower door panels (5.25"- I think)------------(6 speakers total)

I redid my ttype a few years ago (non CSII) with some Bostons up front and some Alpine (6x9's in the rear using an adapter- It worked quite well!)
I have yet to fiddle with my GN set up (the rears are gone and the rest sound like crap but I don't listen to them much)- I'll probably use the same combo as the ttype.

What brand, size and model speakers do you guys use for a direct fit in the dash and rear deck that sound well?

I was in a local shop speaker shopping recently. The dash speakers are 3.5in. Problem is all replacement speakers that size seam to sit too high when mounted so the dash panel may not sit properly. Was told the best solution would be to use a set of tweeters in the dash. The rears the only manufacture that still makes 4x10s is Power Bass and most adaptors for 6x9s will not clear the trunk bars. I wound up with a speaker & tweeter set made by Hertz for the front and 4x10 Power Bass speakers for the rear. Will get them installed over the winter.

My Bostons fit in the dash with no issue. It was a recommendation from some other board members.

Kirban still sells the dash speakers and he used to sell the 4x10 rears but I don't see it on his website anymore.

^^ I was going to say the same thing...

If the car isn't being kept stock/stock appearing for show or resale purposes I think the 6 x 9 adapter is a better way to go though.

Bought my 6x9 adapters off of EBay and a pair of JVC 6x9's for 29 bucks off EBay as well.With laying in the trunk and installing the hooks,just cleared the trunk rods and sounds great with the stock head unit.

Pioneer and Kenwood still make quality 4 x 10's rear speakers for T Types and GN's and I am curious if there are clearance issues with aftermarket speakers vs. OEM. I am aware of the 6 x9's with adapters possibility for the rear but do not wish to make unnecessary alterations if the car already may already have a concert system with door speakers.

When I was doing some research for when I am ready to do mine I went on crutchfield.com. They will speak with you online on a Q&A and if they are wrong they will take back the parts no problem. Something to think about.

No alterations to make top of the adapter mimics the 4x10 pushes right in to the spaceThe 6x9 is screwed to the adapter and hung with the rods you are given that push into the metal tabs that are up their.I have a concert sound car too,but any 4x10 would go right in.Their is a big difference in sound between a 4x10 and a 6x9 and my 6x9s were cheap.

Is it safe to say that any 6 x 9 will work in the rear with the adapter kit or do I have to watch the speakers physical depth?

Last edited:
On a car with the concert sound system do the front door 5.25 speakers mount on the face of the door panel or does the panel need to be removed?

I'm dealing with the same situation for my t type, does anyone know the ohm rating on the factory speakers...I found the adapters on ebay as per the link...