Radio Antenna Replacement

HP Man

My OEM antenna is broken (stuck in the raised position). Any replacements yet? Power or not? I know the factory style one is obsolete. Thanks. Gene

I just replaced my broken power antenna on my GN. I went to autozone and they had a "universal GM antenna" its a fixed mast type, black. I think it looks great I could grab some pictures for you if you'd like i think it was about $18 and it came with a bunch of universal angle mounts. Better then a busted stocker.

mine's broke too

I wanted to do this also, when plugged in motor rund but antenna won't retract. How the he!! do you get at that thing, does the whole fender have to come off? :confused:

I wanted to do this also, when plugged in motor rund but antenna won't retract. How the he!! do you get at that thing, does the whole fender have to come off? :confused:

Mine is stuck up too and everything i have read leads me to say yes you almost have to remove the fender to do it do a search its been posted before

No you don't have to take the fender off, but you need to take out all the bolts that you can see when you open up the passenger door. Then gently pull the fender out and put a 2X4 pc of wood there. That gives you enough room to work. At that point you remove the antenna motor and pull the whole assembly out, then follow the directions in the kit. It's a good Saturday job.... my antenna was broke for about 15 years in the up position, the motor would just run so I unhooked the wires under the hood that feed the antenna motor.

Chuck

Kirbans sells a book that addresses the whole process. i found it very helpful. took about 1 1/2 hours going by the book. each step is explained and photographed. not hard with the book. hard without it. now i've done 3 and gets easier each time. go figure!

I just replaced my broken power antenna on my GN. I went to autozone and they had a "universal GM antenna" its a fixed mast type, black. I think it looks great I could grab some pictures for you if you'd like i think it was about $18 and it came with a bunch of universal angle mounts. Better then a busted stocker.

I'd love to see the pics, cause this seems the easiest route to me.

being the junkyard crawler that i am, i'd just head to the closest junkyard and find a g body and steal the antenna out of that, and get a black mast and trim piece off a the first Celebrity or whatever i stumbled across that had the right part on it.
i can't imagine it costing more than about $5.

You can get everything but the motor to fix your antenna.Here's the list of part numbers.
22048583 Replacement mast.Complete with drive cable
22038195 drive cable(new part number 19151297)
25526335 bezel(the plastic part on top of fender)
10024259 Black nut
25512547 Chrome nut

GBodyParts.com Online carries all of these parts.:)

If you want to go to the fixed antenna, you'll still have to remove the old one from the fender, or you'll have one he!! of a rattle.

Buy the rebuild kit from gbody and be done with it. It comes with directions and will take you a couple of hours and most likely a few cuss words.

Kirbans

Kirbans has them also.

1972 Chevelle SS 402 4spd
1979 Malibu Classic 355
1987 Turbo -T WE-4

No you don't have to take the fender off, but you need to take out all the bolts that you can see when you open up the passenger door. Then gently pull the fender out and put a 2X4 pc of wood there. That gives you enough room to work. At that point you remove the antenna motor and pull the whole assembly out, then follow the directions in the kit. It's a good Saturday job.... my antenna was broke for about 15 years in the up position, the motor would just run so I unhooked the wires under the hood that feed the antenna motor.

Chuck

Good post.......the only guy who actually answered the question.

Easy job, two hours tops. Just did it a couple of weeks ago. Got the "repro" antenna that Kirban sells, wanted to do a quick R&R and will repair the original one as a backup when I get around to it. Included the proper bracket for mounting and it looks like it was an antenna that originally came on late 70's early 80's Corvettes. Only difference is how the coax connector goes on the antenna body and the tip on the mast is a little different.

The whole job pretty much goes like this, tape up the edges of your fender and door with painters masking tape. You will need to open the door as wide as it goes to access these bolts and you don't want to scratch up your paint.

There is a fifth bolt in this area you have to remove as well, it has a star washer on it and that is all that retains the antenna inside the fender besides the antenna nut on the top of the fender where the mast comes up.

Unplug the antenna connector in the motor compartment, tie about 5 ft of wire to the connector and tie off to something in the motor compartment. You will be using this wire to pull the connector on the replacement or repaired antenna up thru the fender when putting things back together. You will also notice a coax connector in the motor compartment, do NOT try to unplug. There is enough slack for the coax connector to come out the bottom of the fender and you just transfer the end connector to the replacement antenna.

Remove the antenna nut using a special antenna socket. You CAN go the cheap route and use some needle nose pliers with the ends spread to fit the indentations on the nut.

Now you remove four inner fenderwell bolts starting at the 9 oclock position. Then you remove the four bolts that are inside the door area.

The last bolt removed would be a fifth bolt with a star washer. This is the only other bolt holding the antenna in the fender and the antenna will drop down once it is removed.

Now gently pull on the bottom of the fender JUST ENOUGH to let the antenna drop out. Pull the wiring harness out thru the bottom of the fender and untie the wire from it. Disconnect the coax cable at the antenna body and it is out. Simple as that.

Once you repair your antenna or have a replacment ready, make your coax connector and tie the wire to your wiring harness. Stuff the antenna back into the fender and try to catch the mast body with the antenna nut at the top of the fender. (hardest part of putting things back together.) Then use the bolt with the star nut on it and catch the bracket for the antenna. I did not tighten the fender antenna nut or the star washer bolt until all the other bolts were secure.

Pull the wiring harness back thru the fender and also some of the coax cable as needed. They can be tucked down into the recess along the side of the HVAC box out of site.

Push the fender back into post and install the 4 fender bolts. Then reinstall the inner fenderwell bolts. Tighten everything up and you are done.

Few pointers.

Hard to reach the lower bolt between the door and fender and you can only use a wrench here. You want to open the door as far as it will go BEYOND the normally full open position on the door hinge. I worked by myself and used my floor jack with the handle in the upright position against the inside door panel and the wheels blocked to keep the door fully opened.

Don't pry the fender any further than needed to just drop out the antenna, if you yank it hard enough you may tweak it!

Highly recommend that you bench test your new or repaired antenna BEFORE going thru all of this. Just connect the wiring harness and hold it away from the car while someone turns on the key.

Any more questions just post and I will answer. Guys, don't be afraid of this job it really isn't bad at all.:biggrin: