Radiator leak

SpooledUp

Haulin Ass with Class
We'll after 27 years it was bound to happen. I took the car out for a drive yesterday and when I parked it the radiator was leaking out of the finned area. I am looking for a replacement and wanted the input from the forum. What are you guys using? Does it look stock? What should I be lying for a new one? Thanks in advance.

Alradco, hands down. American made by a vendor here, and a great guy. No china made crap. The powder coated aluminum one looks factory too. Cools like mad. I ran a terribly designed front mount intercooler, used the oil and trans coolers in the rad, and stock fan before the ramchargers fan and the Alradco worked perfect.

Don't cheap out, it is not worth the risk on these cars.

I bought a raw aluminum alradco a month or so ago and sprayed it with one can flat black high temperature paint. Looks stock. I haven't installed it yet but it does have both radiator AND oil cooler lines in the factory locations. Finding a stock OE radiator is no longer an option as they have been discontinued and nobody I checked with had any more in stock. If you want one with an oil cooler there are other options, but I didn't find any with the cooler line hookups in the factory location, so you would need to do some fabricating. Also... these radiators cost almost twice as much as the alradco so you wouldn't really want to go that route anyway. If you want to go cheaper, you can go with a plastic tank radiator and an external oil cooler (or some people here have also disconnected the oil cooler altogether). From the research that I have done, I can honestly say that the alradco option is your best bet.

The Alradco is the only new radiator that I would install in a GN, but you do have a good option.

The cannot even believe your core lasted 27 years, but it can be replaced by a competent radiator shop, just make sure you demand the high efficiency version.

Alradco definitely. Haven't seen my temp over 168 since I put mine in. Sits between 160-163 with stock fan even on the hottest days. My stock radiator was plugged and seeping down both sides when I got my car this June and I tried to nurse it through the summer but no luck. Blew out on the way home from the track on a 90 degree day running the heat all the way. Worth every penny.

I got a brass recore on mine. Reasonable price and car stays super cool. Plus I retain all factory hookups.

I got a brass recore on mine. Reasonable price and car stays super cool. Plus I retain all factory hookups.
John,
Do you recall what it cost? Someone posted recently that they looked into that option and it was like $350. How long ago did you have it done?

I also re cored my factory radiator. I was able to squeeze in a 4 row core. One of the benefits of working in a radiator shop years ago do I didn't have to pay labor. The company is still in business today. Great people. I could pass along their info if anyone is interested...... oh yeah the car always has run ice cold.

I also re cored my factory radiator. I was able to squeeze in a 4 row core. One of the benefits of working in a radiator shop years ago do I didn't have to pay labor. The company is still in business today. Great people. I could pass along their info if anyone is interested...... oh yeah the car always has run ice cold.
Where is the shop located?

Where is the shop located?
They are located in Rochester ny. Not sure what the prices would be like but I know that they are accustomed to shipping anywhere. Im sure alradco has a great product too. Im just throwing this out there for anyone that wants a cold way of staying with their stock parts. This company also specializes in heater cores and ac parts. I'd be more than happy to help anyone get in touch with them.

Ha! Where in Roch? I'm driving up to Rochester from Virginia tomorrow... going to the Bills game on Sunday. Maybe I should bring up my old radiator!

Ha! Where in Roch? I'm driving up to Rochester from Virginia tomorrow... going to the Bills game on Sunday. Maybe I should bring up my old radiator!
Wow! Small world man. Heck yeah throw your old rad in the trunk and bring it along. They are located at 383 child St. It's right in the city off of I490. Talk to Brett or steve. My name is Nate, tell em you are a friend of mine they'll hook you up:)

That's BJR Auto Radiator Service, My dad used them for all his body shop's radiator & heater core needs . Another custom radiator shop in Rochester NY is Empire Radiator Service , 253 Dewey ave. ( empireradiator.com) , not far from BJR's .