Radiator fan staying on too long after turning off car? Do high/low fan relays need replacement?

VETKILR

Staff member
Do I want to replace both high and low fan relays? I don't want to burn out my fans. Please advise and thank you in advance.

It is the delay relay, most unplug it and leave it unplugged to prevent running the battery down. IIRC, it is the larger of the three on the drivers side fender.

RemoveBeforeFlight

After I shut the car off and pull the key it will go on for longer than a minute or two.

After I shut the car off and pull the key it will go on for longer than a minute or two.
That sounds normal if the delay relay is activated. How hot does the engine get? Does it do it every time you turn the motor off or just sometimes?

Sometimes it will go on during cruising when I was in the summer . Its off and on really. Just did it yesterday. So I texted a few of the gurus I know and they said replace fan delay relay. Or we will see if its sticking. You have me doubting myself now haha. I really couldn't tell you how hot as no temp lights or anything of that nature. Sometimes it will go on and shut off right away sometimes it doesn't. I just don't want to burn out the fan.

Sometimes it will go on during cruising when I was in the summer . Its off and on really. Just did it yesterday. So I texted a few of the gurus I know and they said replace fan delay relay. Or we will see if its sticking. You have me doubting myself now haha. I really couldn't tell you how hot as no temp lights or anything of that nature. Sometimes it will go on and shut off right away sometimes it doesn't. I just don't want to burn out the fan.
There are two things that will trigger the fan delay relay. 1) if you have the air-conditioning running and the head pressure reaches 300 psi 2) If the coolant temperature switch on the intake manifold closes. It triggers at 226*F

My coolant temperatures with went bad and it was causing my delay relay to pick up and run the fans every time the car got up to temperature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is doing the same thing but staying on well over 5 minutes every time I drive it.
Do I want to replace both high and low fan relays? I don't want to burn out my fans. Please advise and thank you in advance.
Mine is doing the same thing but staying on well over 5 minutes every time I drive it. Temp is running about 200 what is yours running? sounds like we have the same issue.

Mine is doing the same thing but staying on well over 5 minutes every time I drive it.

Mine is doing the same thing but staying on well over 5 minutes every time I drive it. Temp is running about 200 what is yours running? sounds like we have the same issue.
The delay relay will run the fan for approximately 10 minutes.

If you're handy with electronics, you can pry open the plastic case of the delay relay and repair the internals. It's a simple 555 based timer circuit with a relay