What Oil you Using?

SteveZ82

Since the search doesn't seem to work and I'm doing my first oil change since getting the car about 1 year ago (Chicago winters keep it in the garage), asking what oil everyone is using in their TB. Right now, it's got 10W-30 Mobile 1 synthetic and a PF52 filter. I'm leaning towards brad penn 10w30 as I've heard great things and have seen others use this in their GN. Don't want to start another oil thread but since the search seems broken, figured I'd post the question while I sit here with my cold.

Car has 91K original miles, all stock except for a TT chip for 93 octane, 42lb injectors, 17-18psi, and an applied tech cold air kit. I remember back in the day if you go synthetic, you can't go back but that's not a thing anymore. My mechanic friend said to go conventional as that's what was around when the car was built. Just seeing what you all do.

Same as LANDAU LIMITED, my only different is Puralator Pure One #PL10111 and just 10/30 conventional, and 1 bottom of ZDDP. I have used Valvoline for 32 years .I change oil in car once a year. Car has got 25000 miles on it. If your car is stock most oil is basically manufactured by the big Oil companies and are pretty much capable, the main think is be sure and add that Zinc additive.

Not gonna enter that hornets nest of a question but I will say you can still search using google or your favorite browser. Just type in "turbobuick.com+" and enter your search topic after the +. For oil threads, I would not pay much attention to the really old threads though. Oil formulation has changed much over the years. Good luck!

Do you live in Chicago or the burbs?

Thanks. In the city. I’ll try out the vr1. I was looking at the Brad penn stuff and I think it’s overkill. I don’t really beat on it too much or take it to the track. Just open it up here and there for fun and cruise it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you go to any shows in the area shoot me a PM. Brad Penn is real good oil. I've just been using valvoline for decades. I heard they reduced the additives recently so I been adding the ZDDPLUS. What's also real important is the right weight and I always let my engine idle a minute or so before I shut it off. I heard back in the day when I had my GN that helped with coking issues with the turbo bearing. I don't know if it's true just became a habit.

If you go to any shows in the area shoot me a PM. Brad Penn is real good oil. I've just been using valvoline for decades. I heard they reduced the additives recently so I been adding the ZDDPLUS. What's also real important is the right weight and I always let my engine idle a minute or so before I shut it off. I heard back in the day when I had my GN that helped with coking issues with the turbo bearing. I don't know if it's true just became a habit.

Will do! Getting her ready this week. Need an oil change, rip out some old wiring from an after market radio and putting in the original, and replacing my valve cover gaskets.

Don't know whats wrong with what you're using now. Have never used an additive of any kind since day one. On a newly rebuilt engine I would for a bit but not changing now after 175k miles. Bet most these quality oils would surprise many as to how close they all are in specs. Except the actually "true" synthetic ones at $40-50 a quart.

Pasta?
seriously I use brad penn with half bottle zddp.. :cool:

BT_PR_OOV_OO_OrganicExtraVirginOliveOil_17OZ_updated-0x480-c-default.png

Don't know whats wrong with what you're using now. Have never used an additive of any kind since day one. On a newly rebuilt engine I would for a bit but not changing now after 175k miles. Bet most these quality oils would surprise many as to how close they all are in specs. Except the actually "true" synthetic ones at $40-50 a quart.

There’s nothing wrong with it. Better than no oil.

There’s nothing wrong with it. Better than no oil.

Oh my! Hope this doesn't digress into a discussion about rubbers! :LOL::LOL:
That's raincoats for you people from Rio Linda.

Mine had Mobile 1 in it when I bought it. Now 4+ yrs later it is still leaking Mobile 1 with the bottle of zddp that is purchased from this forums' buddy Kirbans. One question, if has already been using Mobile 1 why not keep that in it? Your car your business

Mine had Mobile 1 in it when I bought it. Now 4+ yrs later it is still leaking Mobile 1 with the bottle of zddp that is purchased from this forums' buddy Kirbans. One question, if has already been using Mobile 1 why not keep that in it? Your car your business

No reason. Just wanted to see what others were doing as the search was broke. I had a 74 BMW R90S that leaked like a SOB with synthetic. Used some good conventional golden Spectro 4 (plenty of zinc) and the leaks went away. Now, that’s a much smaller engine. What’s the saying with TBs? If it ain’t leaking oil there is none in it?