Quick - need to know what year of F-Body with the big rad

mike85gn

Get Bent!
My idiot local parts guys need the year of F-body so I can order a new rad, what year should I give them so I get a good rad? Need to go big, have a FMIC going in and ramchargers dual fan setup. Thanks.

I'm using the 91 camaro rs 5.0 radiator, but I believe a 91 iroc 5.7 would have a slightly bigger radiator. Mine is quite a bit longer than the stock one. the year can be 89 at least and up to 92. but I got one from the 91 just cause i used to have one and the hoses line up, for sure! The top radiator hose on mine needed to be a tad bit longer, but the stock replacement from the store fits perfect! Hope this helps.

I ended up going with a rad for a 91' Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7L TPI. Modine 3-core rad with lifetime warranty, aluminum core with dense fin count, approximately 4" wider core than the stock unit, definately a nice looking unit. Have the Ramchargers fan on order as well, hope this combination is good enough to meet the cooling demands with my new FMIC (made from two stock '87 intercoolers welded together, AC condenser is out, I think I'm on the rigth track here...).

Do you know how you are going to mount the fan? I cut the fins off mine and grinded down the sides a bit and it fits perfect in the radiator grooves. If you end up doing the same you will have find a way to hold the fan to the radiator. I let mine sit at the bottom and made a "custom" bracket. on the drivers side to set up against the fan so it wont fall, and used the tranny cooler hole on the pass. side and ran an old 2 inch peice of brake line my dad had laying around. It fit perfect in the hole and I bent it so it will hold the fan. it works but for the driver side I would like to get a better bracket, mine looks like sh!t! Good luck. Let us know how you do it!

Back to the front!

You know, I'm not even sure the new rad is a 3-core.. Does anyone know for sure if the '91 5.7 had a 3-core? Just wanna cover my bases...