Questioning turbo size

ouch.you have to have power to 60ft leaving a 5 psi at 2500rpm and riding the rpm climb and boost climb is not the best way to drop a killer 60ft.

It is lazy to about 100 feet then comes to life. So a looser converter will help this ?

9.5 inch diameter

2500 stall speed
i didnt even think you could get them that tight,not sure why anyone would even try but you coulkd try leaving on boost next time to see if it will leave on power,but 2500 stall is just too loose inmo for a 66/68 turbo.a 3200/3600 stall would lite it up fast and you could drive it more like a supercharged combo because it would rpm and build boost alot faster but not shock the tire due to the slippage

Definitely a converter issue, you need to see at least 3100@ 0 psi on the foot brake with that turbo, or swap to the 64mm hpc street brawler

My TE61 and 2800 9x11 leaving @2800 0psi does 1.65 on foot brake. I have added lots of timing at wot from 2-3,000 rpm and it really improved my spool. I had to leave@6# on slicks to match it with Red’s chip. At 20# I trap 96 1/8 and 118-120 1/4 on pump 93 with VP Octanium

I would have the converter restalled.

Even if you swapped to a new turbine wheel, a 2500stall isn't ideal for that size turbo.

Instead of spending money on rebuilding the turbo, and still needing a restall, why not try the restall first to see if that helps with your spool and 60ft issues?

I am guessing that your unit is an older "big shaft' tnetics unit?

Being new to the turbo world, I don’t know if it is a big shaft or a small shaft.

It is a 2007 unit

I called Turbonetics and learned more of it’s history.

Going to remove it and send it to them for evaluation but I see a converter change in my future.

My TE61 and 2800 9x11 leaving @2800 0psi does 1.65 on foot brake.
a 66 cast is bigger and heavier than your 61 and the biggest factor is really the 68 ex wheel.its real heavy and bigger all in all just not close to what your running.even with higher compression a 66/68 wont work with a stall below 3200 and that is border line.i ran a high comp motor with a billet bb 64mm comp wheel (alot lighter and blows away a 66 cast from spool to airflow)with a 68 ex wheel and it needed a 3200 stall with alot of flash stall.miss the flash stall regardless of tune and it wont spool up before a gear change.all the 6668 cars i have seen and driven that were responsive needed a 3400 to 3800 with good flash stall.

a 66 cast is bigger and heavier than your 61 and the biggest factor is really the 68 ex wheel.its real heavy and bigger all in all just not close to what your running.even with higher compression a 66/68 wont work with a stall below 3200 and that is border line.i ran a high comp motor with a billet bb 64mm comp wheel (alot lighter and blows away a 66 cast from spool to airflow)with a 68 ex wheel and it needed a 3200 stall with alot of flash stall.miss the flash stall regardless of tune and it wont spool up before a gear change.all the 6668 cars i have seen and driven that were responsive needed a 3400 to 3800 with good flash stall.
I was making the point of building a combo........

I get my converters from bill at edge racing converters . They are really reasonably priced . I would get a 3000-3200 stall lock up . Why would you go that low when the stock converter is looser then that ? It will drive just fine on the streets to if that’s what u are worried about .

I get my converters from bill at edge racing converters . They are really reasonably priced . I would get a 3000-3200 stall lock up . Why would you go that low when the stock converter is looser then that ? It will drive just fine on the streets to if that’s what u are worried about .

Much to the dislike of the previous owner, I have done many corrections/upgrades as the converter was in the car when I bought it.

Does "Edge Racing Converters" have a web page or some kind of contact information ?

Was also wondering how it would act on the street. In OD, I am sure it drops below 3000.

Cause it to have more heat in the transmission ?

Looking to go 3500-3800

www.edgeracingconverters.com

I wouldn’t go that loose . You are jumping to the other extreme. With a loose converter it will accelerate fast but won’t couple and your mph will drop off . 3200 stall lockup converter would be good for you on the street and track . This is just my opinion so good luck with your build bud