Question on Heater Core replacment

edfiero1

I just had to replace the Heater Core on my 84 T-type. (If you don't already know most online parts houses have the wrong part listed),
But anyway, my question, is when I took the old core out, at the point where the inlet and outlet ports come out of the Heater box, there was some sort of Foam insulation there. Mine is too rotted to re-use. What have other people used as a replacement? So far I haven't come across anyone selling something specific for this application.

I am guessing I can just use something from Home Depot or Lowes in the insulation area, but would rather not re-invent the wheel if someone has something that worked well.

Thanks

Just go to the hardware store, get some door insulation foam strips and cut them to size.

That's what I did.

I bought some very nice polypropylene foam, but it was melted by heat from the Turbo. Clearly you can just shove anything in there

Standard home door insulation. I could have spent the time to make it look pretty, but you hardly notice it unless you're concentrating on it and I just wanted to get the thing back together. They sell it in several sizes.

I couldn't get a good picture of the heater hose opening, but it's the same.

Attachments

• heater-AC box insulation.jpg
    heater-AC box insulation.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 111
I just had to replace the Heater Core on my 84 T-type. (If you don't already know most online parts houses have the wrong part listed),
But anyway, my question, is when I took the old core out, at the point where the inlet and outlet ports come out of the Heater box, there was some sort of Foam insulation there. Mine is too rotted to re-use. What have other people used as a replacement? So far I haven't come across anyone selling something specific for this application.

I am guessing I can just use something from Home Depot or Lowes in the insulation area, but would rather not re-invent the wheel if someone has something that worked well.

Thanks
doing mine now too..had to get it re-cored.

There should be a heat shield hanging off the cowl pinch weld that covers the heater core connections on a HA. I have a medium density foam from Lowes in there with no melting problems for many years. If it's exposed I could see it being an issue.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220715-193429~2.png
    Screenshot_20220715-193429~2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 92