Question for the 2004r Masters

Ted13b

Not a GN, but over at the corvette forum board, you guys are acknowledged as the 2004r masters...I have a 77 Vette that I installed a 2004r from Monster Transmission in. Stage 2 rebuild, stock L48, a cruiser, not a race car. Install went fine, and pressures were good. The only issue I have is that, at part throttle, it shifts late, over 2500 rpm, and slams into 2nd gear, hard enough to snap your head back. 3rd and 4th are fine. I've been told a Sonnax governor would fix it, or a CK Performance valve body. What would you guys suggest?

Assuming it was built correctly, it sounds like TV cable is too tight. Start with TV adjustment. Monster transmissions are hit and miss on the TH200-4R rebuilds. Depends on core they used and what the did to it.

Last edited:
Like the guy above said try a TV adjustment. I put in a new converter and had to remove the TV cable and when I put it back in I had the same issue I would shift from 2500-3000 at part throttle just like you and the 1-2 shift was hard as hell. And cruising at 45-55mph would be around 2600 rpms. Adjusted the cable and now the shifts are smooth and low and at 45-55mph I'm at 1700 rpms.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    198.1 KB · Views: 94
  • image.png
    image.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 96
Similar issue with late, hard shifts. New rebuild. A guy in KY (Cook's Transmission), Friends car he got it this way. 1-2 at 25 mph and 2-3 at 45 mph, neither will shift sooner. BLOWS on the street. I've "adjusted" the cable (depress "D", pull back, max out throttle linkage) with no change. There are also 3 small what I'll call "shims" little rings around TV just ahead of the termination stop, (effectively shortening?). The cable seems to have good spring when you pull it out hard several times and it snaps back ok, was hoping it was stuck.