Quarter panel protection

chuck jacobs

Has anyone tried the 3m film on their back quarters for rock chip and rubber from the track protection. Just curious if it would be worth trying on my T-type.
Thanks

I haven't tried it but I need to do something to protect my paint too. I can't run mud flaps because of the exhaust tailpipes dumping behind the rear wheels.

I did use it on my 1 ton dually a few weeks after it had been painted and when I tried to get it smooth by pulling it up off the rocker panel it took the paint off with it.

I saw a TV commercial with 3M I think that you spray on and it cures in to a clear film when you need to pull it off. I might check in to that.

The paint has to be cured for a while (not sure how long) before the film can be put on. I saw this type film on a friends 69 firebird at bowling green last year. He said it worked great. Just not sure how it would work on the larger quarters on the T-type. I have seen the spray on just not sure I wanna go that route either.

Petroleum jelly has been used before by a few members and it seems to work fine. It will allow the rubber to stick only where you don't apply it and washes off pretty easy with hot water.;)

We have used a silicone spray also. I know a few guys who would spray PAM cooking spray right before they get in the water box. Then clean it in the pits right after. Pretty easy.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That's some interesting stuff. Might be worth a try if I can get the black to shine like the rest of the car.