Pypes SGG50R install

Deejpig

I recently replaced the old exhaust system on my '87 GN with a Pypes SGG50R system, and I'm very glad I did. The old system was a custom 3" with dual Flowmaster mufflers. It was loud and had a ton of drone at cruising speed. The new Pypes system is a little quieter at idle, a lot quieter at cruising speed with no drone, and about the same at WOT. It seems the like the perfect mix between quiet stock exhaust and the rumbling Flowmasters. (FYI, I bought my system on Amazon for $346.85 with free 2-day Prime shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007N6HHDW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00)

I read a lot of other posts about issues with the way the system fit out of the box. I did not have any issues with this, but I think that might be because of the way I installed the system (more on that in the next paragraph). Both tailpipe sections are close to the upper control arms and springs, but I didn't have to modify them to make them fit. The only modification I had to make was to the muffler hanger brackets. I had to twist them 90 degrees so they could be attached flat against the frame. I also polished the ends of the tailpipes.

The instructions with the kit (and other posts) said to start the installation from the rear of the car and work towards the front. The instructions included were not accurate for my car (and I assume all other '87 GN's) since the only holes already in the frame rail to attach the tailpipes to are too far towards the rear of the car for anything else to line up correctly. Therefore, I knew I would have to drill new holes in the frame rail to mount the tailpipes. So I ended up starting at the front and working back because, basically, I wanted to make sure everything in front of the tailpipes was connected (loosely) before deciding where to drill the holes to attach the tailpipe brackets. (I'm guessing - and let me emphasize that this is just a guess as I am clearly not an expert - that some people may have had issues with the tailpipe clearing the control arm because they drilled and mounted the tailpipe brackets too far towards the rear of the car before dry fitting everything else.)

Here is what I did for the install. It took me about 4 hours to do the install (not including removing the old system), and I did it in my driveway with the car on jack stands. I already had a cat-delete pipe from the old system, so starting from the front:
  1. Loosely connect the Y-pipe to the delete pipe and stock support bracket and support the rear side of the Y-pipe with a ziptie around the driveshaft.
  2. Make the connections from the mufflers onto the Y-pipe and the tailpipes on each muffler.
  3. Since everything was now dry-fitted in place, tighten the bolts connecting the Y-pipe to the delete pipe.
  4. Position the drivers side tailpipe where you want it and mark the location for the bracket mounting hole.
  5. Drill the required hole in the frame rail and loosely mount the tailpipe bracket.
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the passenger side.
  7. Rotate the mufflers into the position you want and tightly clamp the inlet side of each the muffler to the Y-pipe.
  8. Twist the muffler hanging brackets that came with the kit 90 degrees (I used a vice and pliers)
  9. Hand tighten an exhaust clamp on the outlet side of the muffler along with the muffler hanging bracket.
  10. Position the muffler hanging bracket flat against the frame rail going up towards the pinion snubber.
  11. Mark a spot to drill a hole to mount the bracket, drill the hole, and mount the bracket.
  12. Make sure your positioned tailpipe is still where you want it, adjust if necessary, and tighten the tailpipe mounting bracket connection.
  13. Tighten the exhaust clamp that connects the tailpipe to the muffler outlet
  14. Repeat steps 9 thru 13 for the other side making sure your tailpipes are as symmetrical as possible.
  15. Double check all connections to make sure they're tight.
I don't a have a lot of experience working on my car, but I do consider myself to be mechanically inclined, so I hope this write-up can help someone else in my same situation.

drivers side
pypes 1.JPG

passenger side
pypes 2.JPG

passenger side
pypes 3.JPG

drivers side
pypes 4.JPG

drivers side
pypes 5.jpg

pypes 6.JPG

pypes 7.JPG

That's what the first rivet above the clamp is for. You twist it there. They are TITE, but a screw driver, or a cresent work well.

Great system....had mine installed roughly 2 years ago....had to tweak it some to make the driver side pipe even with the passenger side but besides that the fit and finish is excellent.

Nice! Got mine Amazon Prime as well, have not had time to install

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great system....had mine installed roughly 2 years ago....had to tweak it some to make the driver side pipe even with the passenger side but besides that the fit and finish is excellent.
Mine needs some tweaking, too. Too busy putting the pos engine back together...:mad:

Looks great! I think I will pick one up and get rid of my horrible drone. What did you use to polish the tailpipes?

Kirban 2 cents worth Our price is $399.95 shipped only $4 more from the link above also we are a member of this forum....we move a lot of these systems Pypes company is 25 mins from our shop I pick them up....owner of the company has been a personal friend of mine for over 30 years....

With none of our cars sitting on the frames straight its w wonder any exhaust first even somewhat correct and even...and then add 25 plus years of squashed body bushings to the mix....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Hey Dennis,

Do you have any videos showcasing the exhaust sound? And additional pics? I'm thinking of purchasing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Dennis,

Do you have any videos showcasing the exhaust sound? And additional pics? I'm thinking of purchasing

Sorry no videos....it is the most popular system Pypes used to be Hooker as we did the prototype fitment for Hooker years ago and Pypes basically follows that format ....sound also depends on cat converter stock performance one or non at all..

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I just installed one of these on Rich B's GN. Fit very nice sounds good too. For guys considering a 3inch driveshaft Pypes is better than hooker as there's a little more room where the pipes Y's and that makes all the difference in the world for getting that driveshaft in and out.

Looks great! I think I will pick one up and get rid of my horrible drone. What did you use to polish the tailpipes?

Thanks! I just used the wire brush attachment on my grinding wheel and then clear coated it with Duplicolor engine enamel.

These still drone at 45-60ish just finished my trip the NC 180 miles ea way. No drone 70 on up though-may buy some ultra flows if I don't get used to it. These are street pros.

Hey Dennis,

Here a video of mine at the track, the camera is near the exhaust, it will give you and idea

Thanks for the bump and to the OP for the write up. I've got the Street-Pro version of this system on it's way in the mail

Thanks again to deejpig for the write up and pictures. They helped a lot. Got my system in the mail today. I've got a relatively corrosion free car so the old system came off easily. New system went on pretty easily. I spent a lot of time fussing about placement of hangers, etc. In the end, removal of old and installation of new took about 3:20. Result is just what I wanted. It's the Street-Pro system and I'd say the sound is similar to the original.

What is the sound difference between the Race Pro and Street Pro mufflers with no cat and just the test pipe on a 2.5 exhaust?

I recently replaced the old exhaust system on my '87 GN with a Pypes SGG50R system, and I'm very glad I did. The old system was a custom 3" with dual Flowmaster mufflers. It was loud and had a ton of drone at cruising speed. The new Pypes system is a little quieter at idle, a lot quieter at cruising speed with no drone, and about the same at WOT. It seems the like the perfect mix between quiet stock exhaust and the rumbling Flowmasters. (FYI, I bought my system on Amazon for $346.85 with free 2-day Prime shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007N6HHDW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00)

I read a lot of other posts about issues with the way the system fit out of the box. I did not have any issues with this, but I think that might be because of the way I installed the system (more on that in the next paragraph). Both tailpipe sections are close to the upper control arms and springs, but I didn't have to modify them to make them fit. The only modification I had to make was to the muffler hanger brackets. I had to twist them 90 degrees so they could be attached flat against the frame. I also polished the ends of the tailpipes.

The instructions with the kit (and other posts) said to start the installation from the rear of the car and work towards the front. The instructions included were not accurate for my car (and I assume all other '87 GN's) since the only holes already in the frame rail to attach the tailpipes to are too far towards the rear of the car for anything else to line up correctly. Therefore, I knew I would have to drill new holes in the frame rail to mount the tailpipes. So I ended up starting at the front and working back because, basically, I wanted to make sure everything in front of the tailpipes was connected (loosely) before deciding where to drill the holes to attach the tailpipe brackets. (I'm guessing - and let me emphasize that this is just a guess as I am clearly not an expert - that some people may have had issues with the tailpipe clearing the control arm because they drilled and mounted the tailpipe brackets too far towards the rear of the car before dry fitting everything else.)

Here is what I did for the install. It took me about 4 hours to do the install (not including removing the old system), and I did it in my driveway with the car on jack stands. I already had a cat-delete pipe from the old system, so starting from the front:
  1. Loosely connect the Y-pipe to the delete pipe and stock support bracket and support the rear side of the Y-pipe with a ziptie around the driveshaft.
  2. Make the connections from the mufflers onto the Y-pipe and the tailpipes on each muffler.
  3. Since everything was now dry-fitted in place, tighten the bolts connecting the Y-pipe to the delete pipe.
  4. Position the drivers side tailpipe where you want it and mark the location for the bracket mounting hole.
  5. Drill the required hole in the frame rail and loosely mount the tailpipe bracket.
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the passenger side.
  7. Rotate the mufflers into the position you want and tightly clamp the inlet side of each the muffler to the Y-pipe.
  8. Twist the muffler hanging brackets that came with the kit 90 degrees (I used a vice and pliers)
  9. Hand tighten an exhaust clamp on the outlet side of the muffler along with the muffler hanging bracket.
  10. Position the muffler hanging bracket flat against the frame rail going up towards the pinion snubber.
  11. Mark a spot to drill a hole to mount the bracket, drill the hole, and mount the bracket.
  12. Make sure your positioned tailpipe is still where you want it, adjust if necessary, and tighten the tailpipe mounting bracket connection.
  13. Tighten the exhaust clamp that connects the tailpipe to the muffler outlet
  14. Repeat steps 9 thru 13 for the other side making sure your tailpipes are as symmetrical as possible.
  15. Double check all connections to make sure they're tight.
I don't a have a lot of experience working on my car, but I do consider myself to be mechanically inclined, so I hope this write-up can help someone else in my same situation.

drivers side
View attachment 271592
passenger side
View attachment 271593

passenger side
View attachment 271594

drivers side
View attachment 271595

drivers side
View attachment 271596

View attachment 271597
View attachment 271598

I just bought the same system so the install info is much appreciated. I also will be polishing the ends, it looks great! Hope you still like the way it looks and sounds.

I just bought the same system so the install info is much appreciated. I also will be polishing the ends, it looks great! Hope you still like the way it looks and sounds.

I want to polish the tips as well.... What are you planning to use to polish?