pypes exhaust install

timdesu2000

Installing a pypes cat back race pro system and looking for anyone that has installed one on a GN. It states for the rear hangers that there may be holes already there. My holes seem to be too far back and probably too large for a hanger bolt. Can you tell me the rough location of where the tail pipe hanger bolt ended up on your install? Also if could measure from the center line of the body mount bolt to the hole and from outside of frame rail. That would give me some kind of idea where I need to be. The factory exhaust was taken off before I got the car so Im not sure exactly where the tail pipes should sit.
Thanks,
Tim

hope this helps

pypes dual exhaust bushings.JPG

Yes that helps. Wow they do exit right behind the wheel. Gives me a good idea where the hangers need to go. Thanks

Kit installed. The pic helped a lot in getting the tailpipes mounted then worked forward from there. Now just waiting on the rain to stop so I can take it for a spin.
Thanks,
Tim

I have installed Pypes exhaust systems on many cars using all 3 muffler combos.

The fit on every car has been flawless. The kit seems to be well endowed with the parts you need with out being overladen with crap.

Every one I have from back to front seems to be the best.

My only complaint is the last install was on a 94 buick RM B Body car. The system fit excellent as usual, the only thing is it did not come with the flanges needed to retain the mid pipes to the stock convertor.
I was a little diapoinnted when the instructions said to reuse your old ones, however the old ones as with many others were so rotted they could not be used.
15.00 at my local Advance and system was installed. I only wish they included them.

Other than this one minor issue, I love their stuff.

How is the ground clearance with the Pypes system? My car has been lowered about 3+". I was wondering if the mufflers or any tubing hangs down below the frame rails?

Thanks
~JM~

I know this is an old thread, but came to it after searching for some help with my Pypes install. Just wanted to ad these two pictures to help clarify where the rear pipes mount. The other pic above helps but is not totally clear. Maybe this will help someone in the future.

IMG_4319.JPG
pipe mount.jpg

Thread resurrected again ... can anyone post Pypes tailpipe mounting hole location pics, The existing pics have all been wiped from the thread. Thanks,

-G

for the tail pipes drill about 1.5" forward of the large hole for the #6 body mount and along the inner edge of the frame rail seam
for the muff hangers theres a hole in the frame brace above the rear of the muffler that you can use a short 3/8-16 bolt and nut . i like to put them on the front and secure into the side of the floor brace with the supplied screws

for the tail pipes drill about 1.5" forward of the large hole for the #6 body mount and along the inner edge of the frame rail seam
for the muff hangers theres a hole in the frame brace above the rear of the muffler that you can use a short 3/8-16 bolt and nut . i like to put them on the front and secure into the side of the floor brace with the supplied screws
Got it, I see along the seam and a nice flat area aft of the tire. For the frame holes, did you use the lag screw through the right sized hole or use a bolt and flag nut? Benefit to the hangers being on the forward clamps? Thanks!!

ive done it both ways
drill a 1/4 hole for the bolt and grease one up and spin it in and out with an impact so it makes some threads
also drill a 3/8 hole drop a full threaded bolt down (with locknut on topside of frame and spin a hex nut up tight then slide the exhaust tail pipe on and use a nylon locknut
check your tailpipe clearance on the axle and move hole for pipe if needed
hang both tails then slide on mufflers (center outlet to the tail pipe offset inlet at front toward the driveshaft ) then slip on the Y pipe

you may find the driver tail into the muffler is a little longer than the passenger side and you might want to trim a little off if the cat flange ends up too far forward

There is really no way to go from rear end forward... It all depends on your down pipe/cat/ test pipe configuration... Which there are probably thousands of different setups out there.. I'd say dry fit front first to rear, and see what you get.. and then back to front and go from there... Mike

There is really no way to go from rear end forward... It all depends on your down pipe/cat/ test pipe configuration... Which there are probably thousands of different setups out there.. I'd say dry fit front first to rear, and see what you get.. and then back to front and go from there... Mike
ive done so many of them ... rear to front is the way to do it , thats the way it is done as trying to get the tails into the mufffs with the axle there isnt going to happen

Thanks for the input @pacecarta and @mikes86ttop. I saw the difference in pipe lengths when I took it all out of the box.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna remove the old cobb job of welded pipes, flowmasters and repairs that is currently under there. Work schedule permitting I'm looking at early next week for the install. Its already as high as I can safely get it on jackstands (not Harborfreight :oops:) so I should be good.

Heres the mockup, I have hotair, so I built a square flange (to DP) welded a 2.5"OD coupler that will get slipped on and clamped on the front of the stock (86-87) config cat once I can align it. I made a stock (86-87) style hanger bracket because my HA one was fucked and would be misaligned with the oval anyway (stock HA cat outlet is offcenter from the hanger bracket). Looks crooked in the pic but it will lines up nice when tightened down.

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG