pw brake fuse

humberto

Hey guys my pw brake fuse keeps blowing is it time for a new electric motor?Anyone have some trouble shooting info on these things?

Most likely time for a new accumulator, and if you've let this go on too long, probably time for a whole new Power Master. The new motor is ONLY available from Hank Terry. A new motor and a new accumulator will cost more than a rebuilt PM from Autozone, or from one of the Buick vendors, like Jack Cotton, or Casper's.

Make sure the coolant fan delay relay is unplugged or working okay also.

Wiring goes there from that fuse also.

Big red fat ones.

Originally posted by salvageV6
Make sure the coolant fan delay relay is unplugged or working okay also.

Wiring goes there from that fuse also.

Big red fat ones.

Just looked at the wireing circuit diagram and i dont see where the coolant fan relay is tied into the brake system?

Page 8A-31-0 wiring diagram for the Turbo Vin 7 Fans.

Power brake fuse wiring goes right to the delay relay power terminal and then over to the power master brake relay, rest of diagram is on page 8A-46-0 for the brake system which also shows the connection to the coolant fan delay relay.

Big fat red wires.

When does the fuse blow? As soon as you put one in? Or when the brakes are trying to cycle the pump?

If it blows immediately as soon as you put one in the fuse panel, unplug the main power master plug and try another fuse and see if it holds.

You mean the plug on the motor itself right?First fuse blew right away then put another one in and it didnt blow?

Yes I meant the powermaster main connector.

Not sure if your condition is intermittant or just the powermaster pump.

Might as well try a fuse in there with the connector unplugged.

I'd start the car and idle it but DON'T GO ANYWHERE.

Just want to move the wires around a bit if the fuse holds plug the pump connector back in and see if it blows at that point.

Your pressure switch might be bad!!! Do this to check it. without the key on, pump your brakes 10 times or more to replease the pressure in the system. With everything plugged in and a new fuse in place, just turn the ignition key on, do not start the car and listen for the pump to begin pressurizing the accumulator. As pressure builds, you should hear the pump begin to strain under the pressure, then shut off about 15 seconds or so later, if you here it cut off then on again, so on and so on, or never shut off at all and the pump sounds like it is really getting pulled down, I would say the pressure switch is bad hence overloading the fuse and causing it to pop. If the motor runs all the time and does not sound like it is pressurizing anything, maybe the pump is going out or the accumulator and mastercylinder assm. have a problem. just my 2 cents. Let me know if you have questions....

Thanks texasturbo the pump will run after key is on then i can hear it strain when it is under pressure then turns off.I will try another switch since it is easy to replace.

Also, if the motor runs all the time, it is possible that the check valve on the power assist side of the master cylinder is defective. This would neccessitate rebuilding the master cylinder. The factory manual has a very detailed procedure for testing the powermaster unit. But you'll need to build an adapter to hook a set of brake guages to (in series with your pressure switch). Email me if you want to go that route.