Pulling transmission with jackstands

Wahoo

So i need to pull my transmission out in my garage at home. I dont have a lift, can i use car ramps for the front tires or would that not be high enough?

I need to find some good ramps and jack stands.

Also a transmission jack attachment would be nice.

Put it up on cribbing, it will safer and easier...

Won't be high enough. You need to raise it at high ad possible and slide it out right next to the front tire

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Won't be high enough. You need to raise it at high ad possible and slide it out right next to the front tire

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Anyone know exactly how high?

I guess ill measure my th400 at the top of the bellhousing and know i need the frame to be higher.

Cribstand2.jpg

I did it with jack stands and a floor jack. I'm not going to say it's the easiest thing, but it can be done.

I should also say I believe I slid the transmission off the jack and got it out that way, sliding it on its pan.

I have done this more times than I care to think about and this is the best way on jack stands.
Get the car up as high as you can and support the rear axle so it does not fall
all the way down....leaving it in a elevated position makes removing the driveshaft easier
because as the suspension travells downward it also moves the rear end forward making it harder to get the
driveshat out.

Next you really want to get a single piece 30" to 36" 3/8 one piece extension and a 9/16 flex socket...
not the kind that uses a knuckle and then a regular socket but a dedicated 1 piece flex socket'
These two items will make your life soooo much easier.

The next tip is you want to roll the floor jack in from the SIDE of the car and pull the trans out from the
side of the car....picture the bell housing portion of the trans coming out the side between the tire gap
and the front fender, there is a 4 inch or so gap that this will allow the trans to come out the side.

You may need to tilt the trans down in the front depending on how high you can get it in the air.
The rest is pretty straight forward but this is the best way on jack stands.

I have also done this many times . If I can pull the frame with 4 jack stands and two jacks solo I have faith you can pull your trans . Before u jack up the car remove the top two bolts of the bell housing , jack up the car as high as u can secure it with 4 jack stands . Remove all linkage and cooler lines , drive shaft unbolt converter , take the bottom 2 bolts out , roll a jack with a 2x3' wood board on it raise it till it has some of the weigh remove last 2 bolts pull it back and lower it . Good luck I'll be doing this again unfortunately to R&R my converter

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 250
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 212
Only add advice I would give is if using jackstands go w the heavy duty 6 ton ones. I purchased them from harbor freight for reasonable price and work well. Didn't need to max out the 3 ton ones. It gets hairy going that high

I have also done this many times . If I can pull the frame with 4 jack stands and two jacks solo I have faith you can pull your trans . Before u jack up the car remove the top two bolts of the bell housing , jack up the car as high as u can secure it with 4 jack stands . Remove all linkage and cooler lines , drive shaft unbolt converter , take the bottom 2 bolts out , roll a jack with a 2x3' wood board on it raise it till it has some of the weigh remove last 2 bolts pull it back and lower it . Good luck I'll be doing this again unfortunately to R&R my converter
FYI -- your frame is missing

Spend $100 invest in habor freight adjustable trans jack and go for it.
I agree I bought one a few months ago when I was sold a 30 spline converter and had to drop a fresh trans to swap it out.
You still need to move the trans from the jack to the ground to get it out but it was soo much better than the balancing act with a floor jack. Just put cardboard down and pull the cardboard to slide the trans out-- no scraping the pan.
I also used it for a fuel tank and it was perfect.

Only add advice I would give is if using jackstands go w the heavy duty 6 ton ones. I purchased them from harbor freight for reasonable price and work well. Didn't need to max out the 3 ton ones. It gets hairy going that high
3 tons is a hell of a lot of weight in fact I 3 ton jack can hold the whole car by it self . 3tons = 6,000 lbs

Did my R&R with ramps and jackstands more times than I care to remember. Just be safe. Think it through as you go and remember the advice you read here.

3 tons is a hell of a lot of weight in fact I 3 ton jack can hold the whole car by it self . 3tons = 6,000 lbs

I know that but they always seem flimsy to me especially when you have to lift cat high enough for trans. I like to overkill it is all.. To each their own...

What's funny about this is I just started to pull my trans . I put the 4 jack stands under the control arms and the axle tubes . It gives me plenty of hight to remove the trans

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 226
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 205