Pulling axles

Gene Van Horn

Hey guys, im pulling my axles, to check for straight and its been so long i forget the next process to get the c clips out. This is where i am.
image.jpeg

remove 5/16 bolt , slide out cross pin , push axles in and clips will fall out
FWIW the axles flex and usually check straight,
its the housing tubes that are usually bent and youll need an axle narrowing jig and a heavy bottle jack to get them back to true

Ok easy enough, thanks guys. I been hearing a vibration for long time,has never affected how the car drives. Its just driving me nuts. Its all apart and everything looks great. Could be bent tube as you say. Once again thanks for the help, Gene Van Horn.

Might be a drive shaft that's out of balance, I had that issue in my '65 Chevelle. Jus' sayin'. :D

Coulda sworn I had a bent/out of true axle.

You can check flange runout a hellova lot easier than pulling the axles.

If fact, once you get the axles out, you can't check runout without some pretty specialized equipment.

Turbo T, i agree thats gonna be my next check. Axles ,bearings, gears,everything looks brand new. Earl what is flange runout,dont know that one and how do you check it.

Turbo nasty,good idea with the magnet,which i have several. Unfortunately they weren't under the car so i used my fingers..:):) Thanks for the reply,Gene.

Turbo nasty,good idea with the magnet,which i have several. Unfortunately they weren't under the car so i used my fingers..:):) Thanks for the reply,Gene.

And now your fingers smell like......Stinky. :)

I HATE the smell of gear oil..........

Turbo T, i agree thats gonna be my next check. Axles ,bearings, gears,everything looks brand new. Earl what is flange runout,dont know that one and how do you check it.
Put the axles back in and use a dial indicator.

A simple test; With the car on jack stands running it at idle in drive it should be obvious if the flanges are bent or straight to the naked eye.

Last edited: