Puff of smoke on startup

stmello

Question. Just noticed it today at startup all 3 times. The car is 85, non modified except for Kirben breather, Cold Air kit with K&N, and upgraded 87 ignition. At startup i get a puff of smoke, more so when it has sat for a bit, goes right away after abotu 5 seconds. I would think valve seals, but since i have been wrong so many times before with this car, im throwing convention out. Any ideas? Does the warm weather have anything to do with it? Im in NC and it has been floating around 80 degree's the last couple days.

Question. Just noticed it today at startup all 3 times. The car is 85, non modified except for Kirben breather, Cold Air kit with K&N, and upgraded 87 ignition. At startup i get a puff of smoke, more so when it has sat for a bit, goes right away after abotu 5 seconds. I would think valve seals, but since i have been wrong so many times before with this car, im throwing convention out. Any ideas? Does the warm weather have anything to do with it? Im in NC and it has been floating around 80 degree's the last couple days.

What color smoke?

Oil color. Light oil color. Not steam, like i said, it came out and stopped real quick.

Oil color. Light oil color. Not steam, like i said, it came out and stopped real quick.

Valve guide clearance, if plugs look ok, and it does not smoke under boost.
Oh ....... Stock heads do not have valve seals.

Could be a turbo ready to go out. Tho if its a bad turbo you will know. ENDLESS SMOKE/WHITE/OIL RICH SMELL. Hope thats not the case here. What kinda breather do you have?? is it oil soaked?? Hope this is not the case. I had my turbo rebuilt at blaastperformance.com
you could also send it to Gpopshop. com

Or the cheaper way i guess would be to try and find a HA turbo. Tho i wouldn't only for a core, Dont know when they will go out. Good luck, kept us posted

I would agree that its valve seals....... the rubber has just dried out.

Quick in car, change and im sure you will be alright.

A.j.

Turbo is new. Actually, the turbo spools up nice, is maxed for 6lbs according to teh factory guages, and the breather is a new Kirben model installed this past Friday.