PT 51 vs TA49?

The PT51uses the same compressor wheel as the TA49. The PT51 has a slightly larger turbine wheel. The turbine wheels were known for breaking. IMO there is little to gain unless you are pushing the Ta49 Into the 10s. And even then I doubt you would see much of a gain. If you have a Garrett housing on the TA49,the pt51 will have a lot more lag.

The only turbo I've used in the evolution of my car that crapped out for no good reason was the 51 and it did it twice. Precision didn't get money from me a third time.

10 years ago there was a guy that complained so much about his 51 that the admin finally locked his thread.

It was all due to "oil contamination". :oops::rolleyes:

Luckily I got a good PTE51 from Modern Musclecar works great with a Vigilante 0 pump lockup.

I'd never buy another PTE turbo after how they handled their warranty issues.

It was all due to "oil contamination". :oops::rolleyes:

When the 51 turbo first came out years ago, a local owner installed one on his TR as it was "rated"better than the TA-49.

After a few runs at the track, he lost power at the top end. We then towed it back to the pit and pushed the car on his trailer.

There were a few of us helping and we were standing at the front of the car.

A few seconds later we then heard a "clunk", and the exhaust wheel exited the downpipe and landed on the ground!

Since it had "contaminated oil" after a few passes, no warranty was available?

Wow, that must have been an interesting experience.