proportioning valve

mbartell

n/a 231
How do you tell if it went out?

I re-did my brakes: new rotors and pads in the front, new drums on newish pads in the back. I tightened the adjusters in the back down, brought it off a click and the rears lock up, while the fronts only seem to slow the car a little. I've bled it untill I've bled, but the front brakes still feel mushy. At this point, the only things that I haven't replaced is the proportioning valve, and the not so old front brake hoses.

I had a mushy pedal on a Z28 camaro that was traced down to a bad master cylinder. Have you changed that?

Jason

Yup, new master cylinder, and new vacume booster (it's a stock n/a regal)
The old booster was giving me a bit of a soft pedal, and it's firmed up a bit more now, but the rears still lock up.
I used to have the large diameter Caprice master cylinder, but after so many people telling me that may be the problem, I switched back to the stock sized one. I think the larger master cylinder may be what messed up the proportioning valve.

If the proportioning valve is cast iron, throw it in the bush and buy a brass one.
They were recalled back in 1990.
I just had mine changed on the recall 2 years ago, no more hard pedal, no more rear ending people for me..........