Proper response to "Nice Monte"

tford

Registered Member
I'm sure everyone here has heard this before. I'm starting to wonder if I should continue to educate these clueless people or just say "Thanks". Maybe it is best to keep people uninformed.

Yeah, I'd rather just leave them scratching their heads wondering why it sounds different and doesn't have dual exhaust. I guess the Buick emblems aren't enough for some to figure it out.

I'm sure you'll get the occasional "my buddy has/had a stock GNX with twin turbos that ran 9's" or the like

I had a guy tell me he use to have one and it was made with an all black interior thats how he ordered it , it is quite amusing at times and the people you encounter , just this weekend at our big annual show down here another interesting character was telling me about his 82 that came with a 383 in it !!!!
I do let them enlighten me on their knowledge :censored:

Politely say thanks and move on. Correcting them makes you look like a douche.
^^^This. People who say "nice Monte" usually don't know much about cars to begin with and was meant as a genuine compliment not knowing the difference. At least that has been my experience with that saying...

I attended my first show of the season last Saturday. It was strange, a bunch of people complimented my T and they actually knew what they were talking about. Of course, there was a guy who knew everything about my car. He even had a T hood ornament in his pocket! He said he had five more at home. I asked what he drove and he said something like a 82 Rivi. or something like that. One strange dude!

I'm sorry guys. I say thank you, but then I politely correct people when they think my car is a Monte Carlo. Of course, I still struggle and find it difficult to hide the feeling of wanting to stab them in their temple with an ice pick. But I'm doing much better now.

If they still look confused, lately I've just skipped the explanation and instruct them to just Google it.

Car shows are different. There, you have a duty to educate.

Just like everything else some people will appreciate learning something new, and some are happy in the dark and won't appreciate being corrected. Most people I run into are the former and their minds are a little blown about the turbo 6.

Having a WH1 , I find myself explaining that my car is " just like a GN but with different paint and interior " , or " the GN is just an appearance package for the Turbo Buick they all have the same drive train ".

why irritate someone who is complimenting your car?
I usually says thanks, and let it go, ( for the record, my car has no emblems or buick name plates anywhere)
if they ask or inquire about the car, ..then I explain to them.

Anybody saying this is just yanking your chain (and you're falling for it). It used to happen 20 years ago, but now most Montes are gone and nice TRs are much more common than the other G-bodies.

Lots of laughs over this plate
1.JPG
:cool:
3.JPG

I had a teenage girl at a Jack in the Box parking lot holler "Nice Cutty, Dude!" There was a whole gaggle of them standing there staring at the car.

I have a plain white TR and was surprised they looked up from their phones long enough to notice a clean old car. I just smiled,waved and nodded my head.