Project Car/Build for the board.. "Rusty Silver Bullet" seeking 10's ASAP!

Wow I can't believe run ran in the high 10 with what you got that's impressive I know how much work and money I got in mine give us a little more detailed timing,boost , I ran 10.20 on pump and alky 18 deg of timing on 26 psi I would like to know how far to push it, again very impressive congrats

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Thanks! We were at 20 degrees on the timing and were at almost 30 psi by the end of the run on the 10.90's passes.

Congrats Brian!!!

Thanks Roc!!

This build needs to be in GMHighTech mag.
And this was all on Reds chip?

Several members here and people on fb have been saying that as well Bo. I would be happy to give them all the details of everything. This thread has all of it.

Yes, all on 2 Red's chips! I ran the 93 chip until the mid 11's.. then switched to the 106 race chip from that point to the 10's.

Here's a pict of us with the "Bullet" as requested :D
project77.jpg

Excuse me sir...
I have a big pile of shiny parts and an 8 sec throttle body...assuming it all fits together...
How slow can it go??? Lol

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'm not sure but I will say this when we get it done..:D

Great photo! I like putting faces to the story!
Your nephew reminds me of my nephew who just started dirt track racing this year.

Great job!

This is pretty cool, but I think the actual costs are skewed due to large donations by vendors, I.e, transmission, converter, turbo, etc.
Maybe post what possible "used" or new pricing on those items to give a more realistic pricing?

Great work and I have bookmarked this as a great reference!

This is pretty cool, but I think the actual costs are skewed due to large donations by vendors, I.e, transmission, converter, turbo, etc.
Maybe post what possible "used" or new pricing on those items to give a more realistic pricing?

Great work and I have bookmarked this as a great reference!

Thanks! Yes the donated parts kept the cost down alot. That's why I mentioned that at the end of the build/cost thread in post #174. I saved a good $1500 dollars or more on parts not having to buy a used turbo, used converter and having a basic stage 1 rebuild trans done. Alot of of times a good used recently rebuilt trans can be bought cheap.

Used 10 sec capable turbo ($600-800 depending what you buy, could be cheaper, could be more)
Used prob 10-15 year old converter ($250-350)
Basic rebuild trans carry in ($800 or so depending on who does it, what you have done to it, etc)

Most people would not include the cost of the car in a "build" thread. I did it just to show what a decent foundation Turbo Regal can be bought for today and what kind of parts are needed to run 10's with a bone stock engine that were easily attainable on this board.

It's about time someone did a low buck build up to prove to people that it doesn't take a lot of high $$ parts to run 10's.
You've pretty much done exactly what I'm doing and that is just run a lot of boost through the stock motor. I get so tired of reading how people are excited about running mid 11's with a huge turbo, new cam and a bunch of mods but refuse to run more than 25psi. Maybe a few people will put the wallet down now.

I've finally got a good tune with 35psi, 87 octane and alchy on a stock motor with ported heads. Next on the list is a new trans next year then it's off to the track to see how close I get.

Did I miss when you put a roll bar in it? If there isn't one how'd you get to run it w/o getting kicked off the track??

Thank You!
ks

Thanks! Yes the donated parts kept the cost down alot. That's why I mentioned that at the end of the build/cost thread in post #174. I saved a good $1500 dollars or more on parts not having to buy a used turbo, used converter and having a basic stage 1 rebuild trans done. Alot of of times a good used recently rebuilt trans can be bought cheap.

Used 10 sec capable turbo ($600-800 depending what you buy, could be cheaper, could be more)
Used prob 10-15 year old converter ($250-350)
Basic rebuild trans carry in ($800 or so depending on who does it, what you have done to it, etc)

Most people would not include the cost of the car in a "build" thread. I did it just to show what a decent foundation Turbo Regal can be bought for today and what kind of parts are needed to run 10's with a bone stock engine that were easily attainable on this board.

Yeah, still a 10 second car with about $2500 in upgrades still not bad! Just be very frugal and patient

In 2001, I was inspired by Brians TTA ripping off 11.7 runs with a little of nothing.... I just copied what Brian ran in his TTA on gnttype.org. I ended up with a very fast stock block TTA. :) Had about $1500 in parts
Now.... you'd think I copied Warren Johnsons Pontiac.

...Did I miss when you put a roll bar in it? If there isn't one how'd you get to run it w/o getting kicked off the track??

Thank You!
ks

Bowling Green is a magical place for Buicks! So hard to stay safe when it's so easy to go too fast. :D

It's about time someone did a low buck build up to prove to people that it doesn't take a lot of high $$ parts to run 10's.
You've pretty much done exactly what I'm doing and that is just run a lot of boost through the stock motor. I get so tired of reading how people are excited about running mid 11's with a huge turbo, new cam and a bunch of mods but refuse to run more than 25psi. Maybe a few people will put the wallet down now.

I've finally got a good tune with 35psi, 87 octane and alchy on a stock motor with ported heads. Next on the list is a new trans next year then it's off to the track to see how close I get.

Did I miss when you put a roll bar in it? If there isn't one how'd you get to run it w/o getting kicked off the track??

Thank You!
ks

Your welcome Kevins! I couldn't agree more. 35 psi with 87 octane and alky you are def more braver than me!:D

As far as the roll bar/cage. Bowling Green/Beech Bend Raceway has never inforced any sort of roll bar rules. I as well as many others have been running 9s there for years with never any issues. I rem back in the 90's when guys were racing mid 10 turbo cars without even wearing helmets..lol My local track does not inforce the bar/cage rules either.

In 2001, I was inspired by Brians TTA ripping off 11.7 runs with a little of nothing.... I just copied what Brian ran in his TTA on gnttype.org. I ended up with a very fast stock block TTA. :) Had about $1500 in parts
Now.... you'd think I copied Warren Johnsons Pontiac.

I had so much fun with that car. It is what really got me started in the mid 90's. Running 11.7s with the stock turbo, intercooler, fuel pump, down pipe, transmission, converter, etc.. was pretty impressive back then!:D Still impressive today really. I keep telling myself one of these days I'm going to get it back out and enjoy the car again. The amount of fun we had with the old "bullet" this summer was great.. really took me back to when I first started to see how fast I could get a bone stocker to go.

Man congrats for the rusty silver bullet making it into the high 10s man this thread has got me all fired up about building me a gn now

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thank you so much for doing this thread. I am from the detroit area and i actually remember when this car was listed on craigslist. I even sent the ad to a few friends. Im glad that the right person bought the car and im even more glad to see what youve done with it. So awesome to see how this could be done. I am new to all the turbo 6 stuff and this is very informative. One of the more informative "documented" builds on the website. thanks again.

Hey Brian,Any updates on the Rusty Silver Bullet.Are you going-taking it to Bowling Green this year.If not what are you bringing?

Hey Phillip! The bullet has been sitting in the shop since last year at BG. Haven't touched it this season.. our local track has been shut down this season and is under complete renovation. We plan on getting back to business on it this winter again for next season.

I'm not sure what I'm bringing out this year.. I thought about maybe bringing out the Sage car for the show.. but I have been extra busy with others Buick's and building a new state of the shop I just don't know if I will the time to bring anything out. I probably will be driving and making shake down passes in a couple cars for people once I'm down there as well.. two for sure. Hope to see alot of you guys down there again this year!