Project Car/Build for the board.. "Rusty Silver Bullet" seeking 10's ASAP!

Brian.
I just wanted to say, that is was nice meeting you and seeing your car in person at Bowling Green. I just wish I could have been there to see your record pass. I was with Dave Fiscus when we came over to talk about the car. He had told me about your car and said we had to go check it out while riding around. We were both very impressed with what you've done with the car. It brought back fond memories of what we used to do with our own cars back in the day. A HUGE CONGRATS on the 10 second pass! It is a tremendous accomplishment, especially for that car being given a second chance at life. It truly shows the world just how awesome these cars really are. It honestly reminds me of the Disney cartoon, about the little car that was given a second chance at life.

Here are a few pics I took.

Keep up the excellent work and again, it was nice to meet you and your car.

Patrick Rubio

Thanks alot Patrick! It was great meeting you and talking with you both! Its great to know that guys like yourselves who have been doing this as long as I have or longer can fully appreciate the results of a car like this. I think it really has Dave motivated to try doing the same thing with that WE4 he has!:D

I also had the chance to meet Brian and check out the "Rusty Silver Bullet". Very cool! And the interior is clean!

It was nice meeting you! Yes, the car's interior is in remarkable shape. Some new carpet(faded) and a new headliner it would really look great.:)

I stopped by to see the car, didnt get to meet Brian though. You definitely have the car moving well !! Great job with it.

Bryan

This thread should be made a sticky! Any results from this last weekend or did you take a weekend off?

I think since the car ran so good it needs to be restored now.

Mike, the car would def make someone a great ride with the body work and paint done. Set of rockers and doors it could reeeally come around. The car def warrants it after the performance it shows it can produce! Im on the fence about what were gonna do with it from this point forward.

I think it should be given a stroker or Stage engine...then taken to Oklahoma and whoop up on Farmtruck!!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Now thats an idea..lol It would make a real nice TSM build car!

I stopped by to see the car, didnt get to meet Brian though. You definitely have the car moving well !! Great job with it.

Bryan

Sorry I missed you Bryan! Thanks!

This thread should be made a sticky! Any results from this last weekend or did you take a weekend off?

Maybe the moderator of this section could make this thread a sticky. Check back 1 page Jim.. We ran thursday and friday night in Bowling Green and the car went in the 10's!

You should give the car to your nephew that was doing the driving help him fix it up and make it as awesome as your car....Great job btw....

Congratulations. I saw the car. I hate that I didn't catch you though. My father and I saw the car as we were walking around but you guys were somewhere else. My dad says he needs to fix that rust I said he wants to go tens and that rust is lightening the car. LOL. You should list that in your mods 'lightened by rust'.:D Again congratulations and sorry I missed you.

You should give the car to your nephew that was doing the driving help him fix it up and make it as awesome as your car....Great job btw....

Thanks turboc.. Not sure what we're gonna do yet. His parents play a major role in that department. If he does get the car he will obviously wanna drive it on the street.. they will prob frown on him joy driving a 500 horse car around at his age..lol

Congratulations. I saw the car. I hate that I didn't catch you though. My father and I saw the car as we were walking around but you guys were somewhere else. My dad says he needs to fix that rust I said he wants to go tens and that rust is lightening the car. LOL. You should list that in your mods 'lightened by rust'.:D Again congratulations and sorry I missed you.

Sorry I missed you as well Clay! I called it "Rusty Silver Bullet" for reason..lol! The car weighed in at 3600 with me in it and 3560 with him in it. That's with the tank full.. which is how I race all my turbo regals. Its right in the ball park of what most turbo regals weigh. The car has all the normal power options including power seat.

Brian, at what hp level did the stock transmission begin to slip? Did any particular gear start giving up before the others or was it soft through all of the gears.

I think we need a pic of the car with both Brian and his nephew in front of it!!!!!

Lets put a face to the both of you if you don't mind.

Congradulations !!!!!!!!

Brian, at what hp level did the stock transmission begin to slip? Did any particular gear start giving up before the others or was it soft through all of the gears.

Mike, the stock trans (with servo) started to give up around 11.60 I felt. I installed a fresh Janis trans and a used older Art Carr converter and the car only picked up a tenth to 11.50s at the horsepower level we were making at that time. I think that after seeing this slight gain the stock trans had more in it.. like another tenth or two in it before it would have started to fade. I have went 11.20s in the past with stock untouched transmissions that were fairly lower miles and in cars that were well taken care of and maintained. Obviously with this car I had no idea how it was taken care of. The fluid looked to be half way clean and unburnt when we started.

I think we need a pic of the car with both Brian and his nephew in front of it!!!!!

Lets put a face to the both of you if you don't mind.

Congradulations !!!!!!!!

Thanks alot James! I can do that:D Tomorrow I will try and post that up!

Total Build Cost/Parts Breakdown!

I'm going to try and break this build down as clearly as I can with all the mods. Several parts were changed out on our trip to the 10's with the car. Some of what was on the car when it went 11.60's wasn't on it when it went in the 10's.

First off the "Rusty Silver Bullet" was bought off of the Michigan Craigslist in Auburn Hills, Michigan. The rest will be the list of parts used, cost and the people the parts were bought off of from this board (board member) and what items were donated by friends and what I already had for the car.

1. 1987 Turbo T car cost $3000 (Craigslist)
2. 55# injectors and chip/$100 (Steve)
3. Cartech Intercooler/$250 (gimpysquik6)
4. Mild Steel(rough)Terry Houston 3 inch dp/$100 (Patriot Tech)
5. Red's volt booster/$40 (Vacuum 6)
6. Solid Maf pipe $20/(gimpysquick 6)
7. Engine torque strap/$25 (GNXJohn)
8. Adjustable FPR, adjustable waste gate/$110 (Patriot Tech)
9. Boost guage and an old pillar mount/$65 (bought new@Summit)
10. Hoosier Quick Time Pro 28x11.5 street tires/$140 (Craigslist)
11. New drag shocks/$95 (bought new@Summit)
12. Comp Cams Valve Springs/$36 (bought new@Summit)
13. Buschur boost controller/Free (Donated by David Buschur of Buschur Racing)
14. Janis built 2004r Stage 1 basic build/Free (Donated by Vince Janis of Janis Transmission) Stock trans took us to 11.60s before the swap.
15. Art Carr used 16930 NL converter/Free (Donated by Vince Janis of Janis Transmission) Restalled stock D5 took us to 11.60s before the swap.
16. TE62 turbo/Free (Donated to use by Coach)
17. Drive shaft loop/Free (Donated by 11.20n1320)

I had an old XP pump, mod ecm and OTC monitor to get the build started, also had the set of used Weld Pro Stars. The car had a K&N cone filter and MSD wires on it when I bought it.. those items were never changed out. The car went 11.20s with these items above. Could I have made the car go in the 10's with just these items.. I would say yes.. but we were on a deadline of time to meet the goal of the 10's and didn't have the time to chip away week after week.

The 10.90's combo..

1. HPQ71 turbo/Free (Donated to use by Turbo6Camaro) TE62 removed.
2. Home made 3 inch straight MAF pipe out of an exhaust pipe. Chrome solid MAF removed.
3. Red's double pumper/Free (Donated to use by T-TyPe86) XP pump removed.

I think this combo would go high 10.70's with more tuning and on a good track like BG was last week. I think if I ditched the old Art Carr converter and went to a new PTC or a similar unit, a good 10.50/60 might be possible.. but that's a high dollar converter with new technology vs. a 20 year old piece we got for nothing and can be bought on the board used fairly cheap.

Total cost out of pocket for this build including buying the car was less than $4000. I was able to do this extra cheap because of some great friends I have met over the years of being involved with and racing these cars. I saved a good $1500 dollars having these parts donated instead of finding and using used pieces. I personally want to thank Vince Janis, David Buschur, Donnie Schanz, David Day and Brian Horsky for the donated parts and help over the years! Thanks guys!

*I didn't add the new fuel lines, brake lines, fuel tank, sender and hardware costs.. those were not mods. We needed those just so I could get the car up and running obviously;)

Brian Lorenz

Thats awesomely crazy thanks for doing this.....How far do you think the rest of the drivetrain ,rear control arms (didnt you box them or change the lowers? i seem to recall that idk y), driveshaft ,axles, would have lasted im upgrading my rear suspension/driveline this winter and my car still runs 13s lol...

Thats awesomely crazy thanks for doing this.....How far do you think the rest of the drivetrain ,rear control arms (didnt you box them or change the lowers? i seem to recall that idk y), driveshaft ,axles, would have lasted im upgrading my rear suspension/driveline this winter and my car still runs 13s lol...

Your welcome.. We had a really good time doing it. Car has the org stock lowers, uppers. I normally run all the stock items including the uppers, lowers and drive shaft into the 10.50 range. Faster than that I will upgrade them all. Usually I would add upgraded stock replacement axles like Mosers when going solidly into the 10's but I didn't with this project to keep the cost down to nothing. If we run the car more in the future I am going to add them for the safety factor.

I've seen u-joints and axles break on 14 second cars. I put lower control arm on when I was running 14s. The immediate difference in the feel of the back half of the was it suddenly felt stable, not waggy going around corners. The ride did not too stiff either. IMHO you can't go wrong changing out the stock arms for something stiffer. You'll be shocked how flimsy the stockers are.

Wow I can't believe run ran in the high 10 with what you got that's impressive I know how much work and money I got in mine give us a little more detailed timing,boost , I ran 10.20 on pump and alky 18 deg of timing on 26 psi I would like to know how far to push it, again very impressive congrats

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app