Production 4.1 Street Turbo Recommendation

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

I know I've asked this before but it's been YEARS since I did so and technology has steadily marched on and my budget and goals have become quite a bit tighter (or more honestly reality caught up to them).

Car is a ~4000lb 64 Riviera with a 4L80E and 3.42 rear gears. Current converter is a stock 5.7L unit off of a 96 1-ton van but I'm going to be getting a custom one later with ~2800-3000 stall lockup.
Engine is a 484 production 4.1 with a ~8.0 compression, forged diamon pistons, K1 rods, Eagle stock stroke crank, 212/212 roller. Champion iron heads and eventually I'll get a matching intake. Headers are Poston's with an external gate and a custom 3in downpipe to fit the chassis. Intercooler is probably going to be a 18x12x3.5 ebay (or equivilent) unit with 2.5in plumbing mounted ahead of the radiator. EFI is an L67 OBDII setup with 42.5lb injectors currently and eventual upgrade to 60lb units.
Goals are a fast street car, it's a pilarless hardtop and I'm not caging it so I'm not out to drag race it really. More Pro-Touring type of a setup. I think ~650hp is my limit for salivating over HP. I'll run it on 93 pump gas and alky most of the time.

Budget is fairly tight so I can't get the recommended PT5858 BB unit I really want and they recommended. What are my <$800 options and what should I look for used?

Thanks,

In addition, are you at high altitude? ( Colorado Springs?). If so you will need a larger compressor wheel to make up the difference. I am at a high altitude and Bison spec'ed me a 6766 in order to help my 4.1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for pointing out that I'd not fixed my profile since my most recent move. I'm now down at near sea level in the DC area but going to high altitude again is always a possibility.

650hp is really as wild as I would go seeing as I only can fit a 255 tire in the back max. I can only put down so much power and dyno queen stroking my ego isn't in the cards anymore either. What do ya'll think I should do and with what? I'm open to used but the budget ceiling is pretty hard.

Thanks,

First, if you are on the MD side of DC a small group of us get together the first Tuesday of each month in Laurel; email me for more details. Second, for now I would go with a fairly small journal bearing turbo. You will get good spoolup and with alky can make 500ish hp, then down the road you can upgrade if you want more hp when you can. I would go with something equivalent to the old TE60 or TE61. I ran a PTE54 (basically at TE61 with PTE exhaust housing) on a 3.8 and it spooled just fine with a 2800 stall, so with your 4.1 it will work well. Contact some of the vendors like Bison or Cal Hartline or Full Throttle directly and see what they might have on the shelf they want to move (these just came to mind first, no slight intended if I left someone out :)).

Minor correction, I thought L67 injectors were 42.5's, nope 33-36lb units. Looks like I won't be able to support more than 300hp without swapping those out... I know it's not a great idea but how bad of an idea is it to run the 500-650hp turbo with the boost clamped down till the injectors to 60lb's catch up? Running a single Deltagate external.

Minor correction, I thought L67 injectors were 42.5's, nope 33-36lb units. Looks like I won't be able to support more than 300hp without swapping those out... I know it's not a great idea but how bad of an idea is it to run the 500-650hp turbo with the boost clamped down till the injectors to 60lb's catch up? Running a single Deltagate external.
You'll spend more time and money trying to get the boost under control than swapping out the injectors. I'd recommend a stock lc2 turbo until you want to use more injector

BPE2013@hotmail.com

You'll spend more time and money trying to get the boost under control than swapping out the injectors. I'd recommend a stock lc2 turbo until you want to use more injector

BPE2013@hotmail.com
Good to know. Sounds like I'll keep my eyes peeled for the injectors first. Might get a stock turbo since I could potentially use it on my 3.0L LSR destroker project

Last edited:
My old setup was similar to yours and I'm in MD also. I used a 6262 and a 3200 stall but that car is a good bit heavier.

I'm on the NOVA side so it's a bit of haul over to Laurel but I'll try to make it sometime.

It looks to be an extra $50 for 80's over 60's. Considering the likely sorry shape of my current injectors as well, I need them first. Looks like I need to either pay the $300 and buy new ones or find a set of 60, 72, or 80lb/hr injectors used. Considering how much I've worked on the harness already, doing a EV1 to EV6 repin is hardly a big deal...

Traditional check of Craigslist turned up a "Turbonetics 60-1 HiFi turbo" under a Turbo Buick listing in MD. Even worth asking how much?

Thanks again for all the help, everyone of ya'll.

I bought my ev6 80 lb injectors from Chris at power adder solutions for $260. I'm a member on corral dot net so I received a discount. 60-1 hifi was built for compact engine bays and uses a very small compressor cover. I would not consider it for a 4.1l engine.

I'm on the NOVA side so it's a bit of haul over to Laurel but I'll try to make it sometime.

It looks to be an extra $50 for 80's over 60's. Considering the likely sorry shape of my current injectors as well, I need them first. Looks like I need to either pay the $300 and buy new ones or find a set of 60, 72, or 80lb/hr injectors used. Considering how much I've worked on the harness already, doing a EV1 to EV6 repin is hardly a big deal...

Traditional check of Craigslist turned up a "Turbonetics 60-1 HiFi turbo" under a Turbo Buick listing in MD. Even worth asking how much?

Thanks again for all the help, everyone of ya'll.

CTX-SLPR, I have a set of 55lb Siemens fuel injectors and a 60-1 Turbonetics (ceramic ball bearing) turbo with a 4" inlet and a 3" outlet. I'll sell the pair for $500. If I can find the 4" inlet pipe and the wastegate (Turbonetics Racegate 44mm) you can have them for free. All pieces are in excellent condition. This motor was dyno'd 493 hp (RW) at 18lb of boost.

Attachments

• 152.JPG
    152.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 146
  • 153.JPG
    153.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 148
CTX-SLPR, I have a set of 55lb Siemens fuel injectors and a 60-1 Turbonetics (ceramic ball bearing) turbo with a 4" inlet and a 3" outlet. I'll sell the pair for $500. If I can find the 4" inlet pipe and the wastegate (Turbonetics Racegate 44mm) you can have them for free. All pieces are in excellent condition. This motor was dyno'd 493 hp (RW) at 18lb of boost.
Thanks for the offer, I'm not really in the position to purchase something right now, even with such a combo deal as that.