Problem with going dead, draining the battery down then no start

87GN_ponykillr

Buick addict
Odd problem here.. Here is the preface, My dad and I just picked up the car it is new to us. I don't have any info about what was done from the prior owner but the motor was rebuilt and everything looks like it was put back together properly. (clean install not a hack). We were in the process of getting it to the shop to do breaks on it and with a fresh battery the car died after pulling out and going around the corner. Went to restart and it would not turn. We jumped it and it started. So we got a brand new fresh battery for it and bam, starts right up runs smooth no issues, drove it to the shop. Car wont start after sitting at the shop for two days. Jump it and it starts no issue. I took the battery back and they said the charge was low and it seems something is draining it down fast. Makes sense to me but what could it be? Where should I start first. I did notice that when you turn the key on power (pre start) the ses light comes on and NO other lights, no volt light or seatbelt lights. Then when it starts the ses light gos off and no other lights are on. I was thinking maybe the field fix alternator harness? But nothing is ever that easy so what else should I look at or could I look at to cause such a drain?

I had that issue a while back & i ended up with a weak cell in the battery so i replaced it & its been fine ever since! it was almost 4 years old

You already found your problem. If the 'volt' light doesn't light up, it keeps your charging system from charging.

pop the dash bezel off, unscrew the left bulb cover, and with the key on, wiggle the bulb. It if lights up, clean the contacts as best you can and put it back together.

I'd like to have a drink with the guy that came up with the charging system warning circuit for our cars... so I could break a beer bottle over his head.

Thanks guys, would the fan run all the time if it was the relay? As far as the volt light would the casper field fix solve that?

I think the Casper field fix harness would solve an issue of connectivity through the volt meter bulb. Have a look at the instructions for the kit.

http://www.installationinstructions.com/102032.pdf

With the field fix harness installed and an alternator that does not charge, will the volt light still come on?

Here is the harness.

http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?products_id=618

You may want to investigate a little further if you are not certain the volts light is the problem. Feel free to ask if you'd like help checking for key off amperage draw.

Paul Lohr

I would agree with the volt light being a culprit. Put a new one in the cluster and see if it comes on.

The old school way for finding a voltage drain was to hook a 12v bulb or buzzer between the battery negative terminal and the disconnected negative battery cable, like a link inbetween. Then start pulling fuses one at a time until the light or buzzer goes out. The circuit the pulled fuse affects is where you narrow down the search for the source of the drain.

Thanks guys, I'm going to go pull the volt light and check the fan relay this morning. IF that doesn't do it Ill start pulling fuses.

I had same issue, went through checking all items that it could be, unplugged cigarette lighter and no more problems. Have to find whats drawing the power down.

The trunk light could be one problem. It's on a mercury switch, and if the switch is shorted, the light will stay on. Also, hood light, same scenario. Then, check the glove box light.

The field fix system will solve any VOLTS lamp-related charging problems. The flex PC board behind the dash is an increasing problem, along with the 25+ year-old lamp sockets. Here's why:
http://www.installationinstructions.com/FYI/alternator_charging_tech.pdf

But the biggest cause of the dead overnight condition is the fan delay relay:
http://www.installationinstructions.com/FYI/delay-relay.pdf

Every turbo Regal/GN owner should pay close attention to the above.

You need to 1-throw away the fan delay 2-buy/install Caspers field fix and 3-put a voltmeter on your negative terminal to wire. You should have about .03-.08. If not start pulling fuses. I have .11-.12 but I do have an aftermarket alarm and it is always on a battery tender. Oh and 4-buy a CTEK or Battery Tender.