pretty close to just calling it quits and putting the car on craiglist....

It should run with cam sensor unplugged. What brand ignition module is on the car?

If the cam sensor has never been touched, I guarantee it's worn out. Check up and down play as well as side to side.

Too bad your so far from me, I would fix.

Rick

Last edited:
Mine ran as you are describing when I bought it from the previous owner. He told me ..." he just gave it a tune up".

He had the wrong plugs in there,gapped at .060-.070. Can you say flame-out under boost? Yep!

Which plugs do you have? What did you gap them at?

Lots of great advice. Had a similar issue and was a wiped cam lobe.

I'd replace the cam sensor if original. As mentioned, you may be surprised how out of shape it is. That may not be your problem though. Let me tell you something I learned a long time ago. Do you know how many people quit things right before something great happens? Take it to someone who can help, but I bet it's somewhat simple and when it runs right, you'll be glad you did. Also, get rid of that stock chip. It won't help the car run right at all. Get an extender or turbo tweak chip for under $100 and call it a day. New injectors are recommended, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it; but you will need them someday.

Fuel filter and a new timing set as mentioned above. Both need attention way before 166k.
Scan master ? Scan tool of any kind? Measure the resistance on the coil pairs.
Fuel pressure with vacuum off and if you can, while cruising and wot. All mentioned above.
You need your grand dad's car. I'm sure you would regret selling it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Here I am creeping on an older thread. Did you find out what the problem was??

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I've Been there when the GN just wouldn't run well no matter what I did. learned that a data logger GREATLY assist in diagnostics. These cars have their querks for sure that will drive you crazy but when you sort out the gremlins there is nothing on the street that compares. They are an absolute blast to drive. Find one of the guys that offered assistance and go pay him a visit. you wont regret it.

Same thing happened to a guy that I know on his GN. It was the coil pack. Like others said, I'd walk away from it for a while. Let someone experienced with GNs diagnose it so you don't have to throw any more parts at it wasting money.