Precision Turbos New Turbo Listing for Buicks !!!!!!!

5857sp

Brand new to tuning and racing.But I have been reading every thing I can.Car was unmolested with 77K went 13.4 @97mph 60ft was1.72.Installed a 5758bb billet wheel A TT chip and 42lb and 3 down pipe and a old 15 row Action cooler, Butt dyno said low 11s.Went13.15 @103 60ft. 1.91(traction problems) 92 oct 18 lb boost old spring and plugs and stock air box. No complaints , it is seldom driven, but it is a totally different car. It no longer drives like a 6 with a turbo but like it has a 350 will address my problems by next summer.

?? You put a thousand dollar turbo on a car with a stock airbox, springs and plugs? What's wrong with you? You're going to ruin that car man.

To me, dynos don't tell the story. First of all they all don't measure hp and tq the same. Next I see lots of cars the have good dyno sheets and then are slow at the track. For example, there's a guy at a local cruise with a Mustang thats got a dyno sheet saying he's got almost 600hp but he stinks at the track. I would much rather see track times of cars with similar mods to see what the average is.
Can you explain what the ported shroud does?

Yea, can you explain what the ports in that shroud do?
And thank you for the good thorough answers :)
So it looks like, if someone were running an old school converter, that they'd have to add a few hundred to those published numbers, seeing as how they were published with the new technology ptc converters then... Good to know sir. thanks.

Great list.Maybe u could help me.I'm looking for a turbo upgrade.What would u go with with these mods 50#,3inch thdp,walbro255,2800 stall,3inch exhast,stock intercooler with duttwieler neck,

Great list.want a upgrated turbo.My upgrades are 50#,turbo tweak chip,3inch thdp,3inch exhaust,2800 stall,walbro255,stock intercooler with duttwieler neck,and a 3.5 maf with trans. If u could give me some options it would be great. thanx joe

My .02....

JC3569...Your injectors support 600 hp. You could use that figure to pick a turbo unless you have a certain E.T. that you are shooting for. I would pick one that you are going to grow into but still be able to enjoy with your current combo. I would also consider your future upgrades... alky, converter, heads, cam, and actual use of the car. Street racer, stoplight showoff, or track racer....Which one are you....
HTH

prettey dumb Ha . A fresh set of heads are under the bench at work a old Applied Tec air box is two feet away, one of Lonnies gearboxes and 9"converters is five feet from the car and Im 95% done with our house.I just wanted to get my hand grease and go play.still reserching the cam lookes like a TA Per 206 is right for me

Yea, can you explain what the ports in that shroud do?
And thank you for the good thorough answers :)
So it looks like, if someone were running an old school converter, that they'd have to add a few hundred to those published numbers, seeing as how they were published with the new technology ptc converters then... Good to know sir. thanks.

Absolutely. And it would be a safe assumption about the converter stall numbers as well.

The ported shroud, is an anti surge feature that is machined into the inlet of the compressor cover.

Here's the scenario, at part to half throttle, a decent sized turbo can move a lot of air at say 5-10psi. If the motor can not take this airflow at part to half throttle, the air actually stops and stalls the compressor wheel. This is what is known as surge. The wheel starts a chirping or chiii chiii chiii sound.
Like that huh. ;)
This is the rotating assembly starting and stopping, starting and stopping very abruptly. Which can be very bad on bearings and seals with the tremendous loads incurred on the internals. If you can visualize, a turbos normal operating range, as far as rpms are converned, could be anywhere from 100-120,000 rpm. Depending on model and application. So, the turbo is spooling up, 3k, 4k, 10k, and then suddenly BAM! Stall/Surge. Not a good situation for either style of rotating assembly. Eventhough, the dual ball bearing versions were designed to better handle these tremendous loads.
Ok, back on track, the ported shroud allows the excess airflow that the motor cannot take in, a place to escape. The extra unused air actually recirculates through a slit machined inside the inlet of the compressor cover. Air travels through this slit and exits out of slots or bullet holes that are machined into the compressor cover. Back into the inlet air stream. Effectively keeping the incoming air, flowing in one direction.
Here is a picture from Garrett's site that helps better illustrate it.

Fig2_enlarges.gif

You can sometimes hear turbos surging at the starting line as the driver tries to hold the boost at a certain level with his foot when staging.

In my opinion, on a street driven car that will see a lot of part or half throttle driving, with a turbo that is a 67mm or larger, it is actually beneficial to run a Ported Shroud compressor cover. Here's a couple more pictures that show Precision's two types of ported shrouds.

1st style.

Billet76hpsHP.jpg

This is a Billet 76 turbo with the milled slotted version of our ported shroud. This style is typical of all the ported shrouds on the larger series turbos. Typically 70mm and larger compressor wheels.

2nd style.

6262S_lowres.jpg

This one, is a Billet 6262SP turbo with the bullet hole style ported shroud S cover. If you look closely, you can see the ported shroud slit, where air can escape back through the bullet holes.

The tone that a ported shroud compressor cover equipped turbo makes, is very pronounced, compared to a straight inlet cover. If you can imagine the sounds of a 767 airliner spooling up for take off, that's what they sound like.

Anywho, to recap, it helps to eliminate surging under non WOT conditions.
Hope this helps better explain it.

Patrick

P.S. JC3569 and hensleyt.
Let us know more about both of your goals ET/MPH wise, and we can better help suggest a turbo that would suite your combo.

Wow... you know your **** man... jesus. We're very lucky to have you, AND your company with us. wow.
And I can see the need for those ports, now that the formally "too big for the street" turbos are now being brought down to normal converter levels with the new wheels and centre sections. Now you're going to see turbos that used to require 3600 stalls, on the streets with possibly 3100 stalls and good airflow. Those ports will help them live longer..
Very good **** here. Now I just have to figure out how to keep traction on the street with radials...

Ah, that makes sense. Does the ported shroud have any affect on the performance of the turbo ie; how fast is spools, hp potential, etc? The way you describe surging kind of sounds like water hammer in home plumbing. I can definately see where surging would cause damage. Does a BOV do anything for surging or is a BOV just for when the throttle is shut quickly when under boost?

Ah, that makes sense. Does the ported shroud have any affect on the performance of the turbo ie; how fast is spools, hp potential, etc? The way you describe surging kind of sounds like water hammer in home plumbing. I can definately see where surging would cause damage. Does a BOV do anything for surging or is a BOV just for when the throttle is shut quickly when under boost?

I thought that WAS surging. When you shut the blade too fast. I know that's compressor slam, but I thought it was the same as surging.

Patrick's definition of surge:
Here's the scenario, at part to half throttle, a decent sized turbo can move a lot of air at say 5-10psi. If the motor can not take this airflow at part to half throttle, the air actually stops and stalls the compressor wheel. This is what is known as surge. The wheel starts a chirping or chiii chiii chiii sound.

At WOT and full boost if you close the throttle that boost that's in the intercooler and pipes backs up but it's once not off and on.

Compressor surge has all to do with shaft speed, throttle angle, engine size and engine speed.

Do all the new 60, 70mm turbo's come with a ported shroud. Or is it on request?

john

Is a TA-49 the only choice for a stock appearing upgrade ? It seems like there would be a good market for that crowd..

Still looking for the answer to this one myself. What new technology is being built for the guys wanting to retain a stock appearing unit?

Still looking for the answer to this one myself. What new technology is being built for the guys wanting to retain a stock appearing unit?

There are currently no plans for the TA series turbos, with regards to billet wheel upgrades.

Patrick