Powermaster thoughts

If the powermaster was a viable system gm would have kept using it. They do on the other hand still use vac brakes and there are plenty of trucks with hydroboost still being produced.

I went hydroboost but vac is good too. Just have to make a choice and move forward.

That's actually not completely true.

The lessons learned by GM with the Powermaster turned into electrically boosted ABS pump assemblies and the electrically boosted brakes you find on EVs today.

Every failure is a learning opportunity.

That's actually not completely true.

The lessons learned by GM with the Powermaster turned into electrically boosted ABS pump assemblies and the electrically boosted brakes you find on EVs today.

Every failure is a learning opportunity.

Edision even said I descovered 50,000 ways not to build the light bulb.

Never said they didn't learn, just that if it were decent they wouldnt have killed it. Face it, the system requires maintenance and that isn't something the masses are willing to pay for.

Wasn’t there a company that was gonna start reproducing the power master assembly) I believe it was MBM

Thinking of buying a Cardone unit from Kirbans once I get the remainder of my front suspension/ blazer brake parts

The cardone's are really hit and miss and they usually look like shit when they paint everything black. At least you get a warranty for a while. IIrc don't you have to send a core into Kirban? For a time anyway cardone needed yours to repair since there was a shortage of them.

got the pedal out to make it easier to make the push rod and found that the pin is 2.700” from the pivot on the PM pedal.
Is that difference enough( .325 ) to get a different pedal ?

I've never had the pm brake pedal out, was measuring off the vacuum pedal the pivot point to the center of the top hole which is for manual apps. Are you going to try to drill your pm pedal? You can do it for vacuum but "iirc" not with the manual.

I wish the other things on the car would hold up as well as the power master did I've done an accumulator ball and I can drive around just about anybody with a power master

I wish the other things on the car would hold up as well as the power master did I've done an accumulator ball and I can drive around just about anybody with a power master

I think I'm the only friend you have on here. :LOL::LOL:

I've never had the pm brake pedal out, was measuring off the vacuum pedal the pivot point to the center of the top hole which is for manual apps. Are you going to try to drill your pm pedal? You can do it for vacuum but "iirc" not with the manual.

What I understand is the pin location where it is now lets the rod go straight from the pedal to the master cylider.

I did measure it from center of the pivot to center of the pin.

Last edited:
I switched to HB because I couldn't stand the leak at the PM motor and was unable to find another unit. Still worked great and held pressure for 4 weeks easy.

The PM is one of the most underrated, most neglected, and most under appreciated system on these cars imo. A properly working PM works great.

Put the PM pedal back in and found it much easier to put the bolt back in through the driver's side where it came out of the passenger's side.