Powermaster pressure monitoring

michael evans

Wonder if anyone had installed a three-way-tee to monitor for pressure ?

Can something like this be installed ?

Attachments

• brake gauge.jpg
    brake gauge.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 96
  • three way tee.jpg
    three way tee.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 88
tee in with pressure switch. you'll have better resolution with a 1000psi gauge - only approaching 600 psi on a pump cycle.

don't limit your gauge search to just the automotive brand gauges on jegs, summit, and the like. look into the process control instrument manufacturers like Ashcroft, Rosemount, etc. tons of choices including liquid filled.

OK, grassdoc found a liquid filled gauge - 1000psi for ten bucks. I appreciate the effort to find something inexpensive and works but I can't recommend that as I have no experience with that product or the company selling it. it may work fine but I doubt there is any info about the accuracy, repeatability or ASME standards for which the gauge is manufactured or if the manufacturer is ISO 9001 certified.

My reference would be an Ashcroft 1005 series gauge to be configured by your choices...

http://ashcroft.com/products/pressure_gauges/commercial_gauges/1005-pressure-gauge.cfm

OK, grassdoc found a liquid filled gauge - 1000psi for ten bucks. I appreciate the effort to find something inexpensive and works but I can't recommend that as I have no experience with that product or the company selling it. it may work fine but I doubt there is any info about the accuracy, repeatability or ASME standards for which the gauge is manufactured or if the manufacturer is ISO 9001 certified.

My reference would be an Ashcroft 1005 series gauge to be configured by your choices...

http://ashcroft.com/products/pressure_gauges/commercial_gauges/1005-pressure-gauge.cfm
I would probably use a glycerin filled gauge at those pressure levels ... just a quick search ... and it got 5 stars LOL...

You need a transducer connected to a logging device to glean any useful information over time. What you're building is a permanently installed troubleshooting device. Which is silly.

I was just being el cheapo... :p ... if you wanted to see pressure ... but probably not a good idea when considering your break system...

Might be a bit messy and another place that a leak could start. Is it that important to know this. Just wondering.

You need a transducer connected to a logging device to glean any useful information over time. What you're building is a permanently installed troubleshooting device. Which is silly.

No, for a notice for a maybe failing powermaster. The one that was on the car was failing (getting rebuilt) so in the future, I was going to have a heads up.

It's actually a smart idea...we install convenience gauges under the hood as well as those added as seen from the driver's seat. some gauges duplicate the parameters available from scan tools, ScanMasters, dataloggers and the like.

we install a gauge on the fuel rail as a convenient quick scan to identify a fpr or injector problem (if your fuel pump has a check valve) or WOT fuel pressure on the dyno (duplicating the pressure transmitter feeding data to the dyno's computer) just as an example.

easier to monitor while installed on car. sure a 4 inch gauge for bench work works great when performing exacting diagnostics and repair but a 1.5 inch or 2 inch gauge tee'd at the brake switch will provide convenience monitoring whenever desired to review system charge pressure, pump cycle, system static holding pressure, etc.

Convenience monitoring provides easy system observation to identify an issue before it become a problem. for example, proactively identifying a failing accumulator diaphragm rather than over operate the pump cycle rate risking burning the winding while unknowingly waiting for the brake light to illuminate. or repeatedly blowing fuses from pump frequent operation. getting more expensive to re-wind electric motors and Hydac accumulators are not always in stock.

being able to identify an issue before it becomes a more expensive problem is working smartly. it's the difference between "this is something I need to look at via preventative maintenance" vs "I have to park the car" reaction due to failure. yes, there is the possibility of system failure without notice.

proactive convenience monitoring of the brake system pressure can be accomplished with a simple gauge and a little fabrication.

Here is what I found so far.

Attachments

• 48AE8CEA-D16D-4188-9D03-24B4FF6E4F23.png
    48AE8CEA-D16D-4188-9D03-24B4FF6E4F23.png
    451.1 KB · Views: 127