Powermaster brake switch only used for testing

Antbankstwo3

Needing advice! I’ve been chasing the infamous intermittent blue-ish/white smoke. It’s random, sometimes on start-up, sometimes at idle, sometimes nothing at all for a few days. Recently, I just went on a 90 minute drive and it ran well. When I got home, shut it off for about 10 minutes, then started it up to move in garage and immediate smoke. I’m now suspecting maybe the turbo.

I did a Compression test: Averaged about 150

I did a Leak-down test: #5 cylinder 22%, #6 cylinder 30%. All other were between 12-14%. So I did replace the valve stem seals.

Turbo drain tube is clear
Down pipe & exhaust manifold doesn’t seem oily
(pics below)

Any other suggestions or advice would be appreciate. Thanks in advance

Many of these threads end up being the turbo but 22- 30% is a lot of leak down. You can re do the compression test but this time add a squirt of oil. If the number is much better with oil its indicating worn piston and rings.

Many of these threads end up being the turbo but 22- 30% is a lot of leak down. You can re do the compression test but this time add a squirt of oil. If the number is much better with oil its indicating worn piston and rings.

Thank u! As in add a squirt of oil in the in the hose?

There's a variety of things that could cause it to smoke blue (oil).

Does the over-flow bottle, (coolant) level slowly go down? Burning coolant is white.

Pull all the plugs out and post a picture.

Remove your air intake hose or pipe and inspect your turbo. Any oil residue? Does the wheel spin freely? Any excessive play to the wheel in any direction?

Does the over-flow bottle, (coolant) level slowly go down? Burning coolant is white.

I’ll keep an eye on over flow bottle and take a look at plugs.

I have these photos of the plugs right before I replace the valves seals a few weeks ago. So I had been running these for a while. Street driving. The car has been down since because I’ve been working on it.

All with the exception of two seemed to look clean like the 1st photo.
The 2nd photo is piston 5
The 3rd photo is piston 6

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• 20220518_133104.jpg
    20220518_133104.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 155
  • 04687FCF-F259-4693-80D5-12ABF8FFC07D.jpeg
    04687FCF-F259-4693-80D5-12ABF8FFC07D.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 20220518_090824.jpg
    20220518_090824.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 153
Are the heads and valves stock?

Supposedly the valves were replaced when the heads were worked (Iron 8445) before I got the car 4 years ago.

Also, I took your advice on the catch can and installed one yesterday. Plumbed it through the PCV and vacuum port to throttle Body. Went on a drive yesterday (about 80 miles) Freeway, running errands, sitting in stop and go traffic, etc... It drove fine. Checked the catch can when I got home and there was about 6 oz. of oil in the can.

Didn’t notice any smoke, but it’s intermittent. I did notice the oil in the can smells similar to the exhaust when it’s smoking.

Last edited:
Make sure to add a one way valve in the line between the can and the intake. You might be on you way to solving the smoke.