Powerlogger start issue

tlturbo

Tag - WUTSA V8
Hi
I had to replace the battery in my 87 GN and then found the cam sensor cap was cracked. We replaced it with the new style from Cotton and now we can't get the car to start. It backfires but will not start. It is getting fuel, spark and the cam sensor has een checked several times. This is a very good shop, work on race Z06's etc. But they are at a loss. unfortunately, we do not have a computer or any instructions on the powerlogger. Not even sure it might need reprogramming or is even the problem. It also has the Wide band O2 sensor setup.

So my question is - can we put the regular alky chip in that we used before installing the wide band and powerlogger just to get the car running. We are out of state and didn't even think about this. I didn't setup the powerlogger so none of us know anything about it. HELP - I need to get the car running.

Terry

Okay was it running before you replaced the cap? If so I would throw your cracked one back on . I have had those new caps go bad on me . Truthfully I would just get a regular one . And you know for sure it’s set right ? 25* ATDC on the compression stroke of #1? The powerlogger wouldn’t be causing your no start condition I mean it could but chances are that’s not your issues . The ecm needs 2 sensors to run the motor and that is the cam and the crank . This website has all the information plus more read up my friend

http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/

Car ran great when it left Florida on a transport but hasn't run well since I got it in N Carolina. When it finally started , it would backfire, sound like it was running on 3-4 cylinders, very rich exhaust smoking out of both exhausts. Temps were in the 40's. As it slowly warmed up it started to run better but still like crap. At least it was slightly drivable. Got it to the shop and they found the cracked cap. Ordered and put the new one on and now it doean't even want too start but still backfires. I agree on the chip not being a problem but I was grasping at straws. Does the Powerlogger remember all of it's settings if the battery is disconnected?

The powerlogger is just a scan tool unless you are running a sd2 chip . You can try the ally chip and it won’t hurt anything just don’t go WOT with it . Check your crank sensor and make sure it is installed right . They are fairly cheap to replace so I would do that . Get a laptop with powerlogger software installed and see what kinda data you are getting . Instead of guessing u need to see what everything is set at . The link I posted has all that info plus more it even has a no start tree u just follow . Good luck bud . Post when u figure it out

U don’t have access to a old laptop with windows on it ? U can download the software over the internet. If not just go through and set your sensors like your tps,IAC,cam&crank also the fuel pressure should be set at 41-42 line off and should drop to 38ish with the line on . Again vortex Buick has all the info on how to do all that

Car ran great when it left Florida on a transport but hasn't run well since I got it in N Carolina. When it finally started , it would backfire, sound like it was running on 3-4 cylinders, very rich exhaust smoking out of both exhausts. Temps were in the 40's. As it slowly warmed up it started to run better but still like crap. At least it was slightly drivable. Got it to the shop and they found the cracked cap. Ordered and put the new one on and now it doean't even want too start but still backfires. I agree on the chip not being a problem but I was grasping at straws. Does the Powerlogger remember all of it's settings if the battery is disconnected?
were you with it on the transport? i have heard storys of cars being unloaded and going on joy rides and then not running, mileage when it went on the transporter

#1 just because they work on race Z06 doesn't mean they know TBs. Obviously they don't know anything about a Powerlogger.
#2 Dollars to doughnuts they have they pulled the cam sensor and now have it in wrong.
#3 Take it to a TB shop if you don't have the knowledge to work on it.

Solution. They tried for 4 days to install the new cam sensor cap from Caspers using the included installation instructions and as a last ditch attempt, he dug out an old GM instruction sheet, put it in as it said and it fired right up and runs fine. Don't know the differences in instructions but it's fixed.

Solution. They tried for 4 days to install the new cam sensor cap from Caspers using the included installation instructions and as a last ditch attempt, he dug out an old GM instruction sheet, put it in as it said and it fired right up and runs fine. Don't know the differences in instructions but it's fixed.

The caspers L.E.D.cap can be put on 180* out and also has slotted mounting holes. So there are a couple variables as opposed to the stock style cap. You should have left the stock style cap on and moved the sensor a little at a time until it started and ran. The Caspers cap is going to cause other drivability issues. They are notorious for that.

When possible, try to find a place who has experience specifically on turbo buicks. Not saying anything bad about the zo6 place. I'm sure they are great on the vettes but turbo buicks takes some experience.

As I said previously these cars with stock ECMs need those 2 sensors to run . And installing the cam sensor isn’t just drop it in and call it good . Getting it on 25* ATDC on the compression stroke is key . I’ve seen guys argue that they have it on the 25* and it will be on the wrong stroke so it will barely run if at all . Glad you found your issue.

As I said previously these cars with stock ECMs need those 2 sensors to run . And installing the cam sensor isn’t just drop it in and call it good . Getting it on 25* ATDC on the compression stroke is key . I’ve seen guys argue that they have it on the 25* and it will be on the wrong stroke so it will barely run if at all . Glad you found your issue.

Setting the sensor by the book is not always going to start the motor. Depending on the brand of module dopens if the book setting will work. I been through it a million times.. You can use that procedure but if the motor backfires or does not start you will need to move the sensor a little until the motor fires up.

I will bet the Casper’s cap is slightly turned on the slotted holes when it was installed. Turning the cam sensor itself with a factory style cap would have given the same results.