Powerlogger file review, Knock

Kyleh24

86 GN , 87 White T
I am new to the powerlogger, but installed it because I am getting knock. So far I have not hurt the engine, so I cut the boost down to prevent knock. So first a little bit about the car. 87 Turbo-T, TT chip, one size larger turbo (can't remember the number) 3 inch down pipe, K&N filter, adjustable fuel regulator. Now the bad, so to speak: factory injectors, factory fuel pump and wiring. I just bought a new fuel pump and wiring kit, but not installed yet. Trying to run the tank close to empty. Fuel pressure is set to 43 under the hood, but I don't know what it is doing under WOT. I also do not have a wideband o2 sensor. Meanwhile the file here shows right before the knock a fuel injector cycle over 100%. With my limited knowledge, this is a lean condition. Can anyone verify? I feel the next step would be to get my fuel pump installed. I don't want to keep throwing money at it, but what would be next? wideband o2 sensor? extended fuel pressure guage to the hood? Thanks in advance. Kyle

Attachments

• QuickSave.013.dat
    98.6 KB · Views: 77
yes! new pump and hot wire first
What he said - very good start.
The 100% duty Cycle you're seeing also indicates the injectors are done in theory. If they are in fact stock injectors, it doesn't how much fuel volume and pressure you supply to them if they are unable to deliver to the cylinder.
Make sure all your vacuum lines are in good shape and zip-tied at every connection.
Spring cleaning if you haven't done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello men, Thanks for the replies. I looked back at the spring cleaning post and ordered plugs and wires etc. I know my tps only shows 4.0 v at wot, so I will adjust or replace. I will repost once these are done as well as the fuel pump, wiring and fuel filter are done. Hopefully I can help someone else down the road. Kyle

Hello men, Thanks for the replies. I looked back at the spring cleaning post and ordered plugs and wires etc. I know my tps only shows 4.0 v at wot, so I will adjust or replace. I will repost once these are done as well as the fuel pump, wiring and fuel filter are done. Hopefully I can help someone else down the road. Kyle
Your tps is fine at 4.0v. Raising it won't buy you anything. If it makes you feel better you can raise it but you won't notice any difference.

A set of 60lb siemens should be fine for what your running for boost and quite a bit more if your trying to get something you can run with other mods i.e. alky,more boost,better heads:).A good pump and voltage booster as stated you should be golden. Your gonna want to try and keep your duty cycle below 80% on most injectors so you got a bit of a safe zone and get your chip burned for the injectors you end up running.For now you could take some WOT timing out of it to be more safe.

Last edited:
OK, I am back. Here is a new log file. A small bump of knock in one spot. I have had spring cleaning: wires, plugs, hot wire, new pump, new 60lb injectors w TT chip. See above for other options. Inj PW is now only ~50% instead of 100. Volts are ~.830s to 840s on wot. have not adjusted boost up. What's next? Thanks Kyle

Attachments

• QuickSave.023.dat
    141.9 KB · Views: 41
Sounds like you're heading on a good direction taking care of the vitals. I'm quite curios how you're getting knock right in the middle of 2nd gear. You're boost is bouncing. Did you put the pedal to the medal? Your TPS is way low. Also looks like you're getting weird readings like 65,535 MPH. Mine did this before...but I can't recall what I did to fix it. I think I unplugged the ECU power (orange connection bu the battery), and pulled the chip and checked the connections.

Idle is rougher than stock. Also seems to feel like it is surging when I coast, more like in the tranny but could be otherwise. Factory MAF. Anything stand out on the log file?

How is your wastegate set up? I had the same erratic reading for boost pressure when I had an adjustable valve plumbed. I got rid of the valve and ran a hose from the compressor housing directly to the wastegate, then adjusted boost by tightening the wastegate rod. That completely solved the erratic reading I was getting. As for the knock, you're right in the neighborhood where knock starts to occur if not controlling it with other means, so you might get away with taking some timing out or...investing in an alky kit. I'd also get a wideband and start logging AFR.