POWERGLIDE ANYONE

J-B Racing

Forced Induction
So now that I got my 400 questions answered. Anyone here running a Strip Powerglide Transmission?

did cars go faster or slower?
they didnt break as often.if your combo needs the torque of the 400 1st gear that is why you would slow down.engine power,weight of the car and rear gearing/tire should be looked at.in the faster cars they pull the gearing down inside the trans and also adjust rearend gearing.

just some food for thought its not just a certain power level that will benefit from a certain transmission.i have seen guys swap out 400s and glides in the 800 to 1600hp area,all had to make adjustments based on my post above.from what i have seen the glide is better but i have seen a 400 from rossler take alot of abuse as well but these are really expensive units on 6/7/8 sec cars.good luck

Wonder if a cast iron v6 is in the works? That would be interesting...

All transmissions have their place. The 400 with the aggressive low gear is great for getting a square, heavy 80's car moving. We're talking 400,500,600,700hp. Once you start making 800 - 1800 HP the glide has some serious benefits. It manages the torque and wheel speed off the line and cut's down the drama of the aggressive gearing in the 400. Guys making 1000Rw, 1200Rw make some great passes all day long with Powerglides. I've seen a lot of cars switch from 3, 4 and 6 speed automatic transmissions take their whole program to the next level when switching to Glide. Just because you can really pour the tune in from the gate and turn it up. The 400 has come a long way though in the last 5 years or so as their are better valve body's, better gearing options, more specific data recording and pressure control devises. Not to mention all the factors that a Torque converter contribute. It's a topic that will always be debated to death with the preference and experience of each individual making their own argument.

This is where a lot of my questions have been over the years rebuilding a few race cars. My first twin turbo car had a standard geared 400 with 3.90 gears and big steam roller tires. The second car had a standard geared 400 with 29.5" tall tires and 3.90 gears. Now I have a 210 geared 400 and 3.50 gears ( this combo has not been ran by me yet). I am going to be curious how it's going to run to justify the cost of the gear set which adds about 1200 extra dollars to the build. I have never considered running a glide due to the 1.76 first gear, probably have to put some 4.56 gears in or something close.

My suggestion on the Glide stuff is don't do it unless your car is 3000 pounds or less this is been proven on a lot of drag cars maybe with Steamrollers like rag had on his if you're hooking out of the hole but if not I wouldn't do it,the cars that are over 3,000 lb like 90% of ours need that low first gear in a 3-speed to get it moving lot easier to pull out boost or timing once you put that tranny in there you spend a lot of money, time and effort and you're stuck with it just my two cents

My suggestion on the Glide stuff is don't do it unless your car is 3000 pounds or less this is been proven on a lot of drag cars
not that your wrong but my friends buick runs a glide and is 3700 lbs, tire and gearing and power are major factors

Oh I'm definitely not saying it won't work just from what I've seen over the years it's better to have three gears and pull timing or Boost out and play with that instead of spending a lot of money on a tranny and it not working like you hoped but I will say this I bet your friend's car makes a whole boatload of power and that is a little different ballgame but I am about trying stuff that other people don't I'm getting ready to build a super short stroke Big Bore engine on twins to see how that works out in my car and itweighs 3000 pounds without me in it so I'm all about being outside the envelope so to speak

Oh I'm definitely not saying it won't work just from what I've seen over the years it's better to have three years and pull timing your Boost out and play with that instead of spending a lot of money on a tranny in and out working like you hoped but I will say this I bet your friend's car makes a whole boatload of power and that is a little different ballgame
yes he has some power;)but it really is about the overall combo.i def wouldnt put a glide in a heavy car with no rear gear and no power that would kill it for sure.but the right combo it will go good and last

Yeah I agree with you on that and hopefully it will be going to be a 3.060 stroke I'm not sure how well it will work but I think like you're talkin about with the right gearing could be a beast probably going to have to Zing it to the moon but that's okay

Yeah I agree with you on that and hopefully it will be going to be a 3.060 stroke I'm not sure how well it will work but I think like you're talkin about with the right gearing could be a beast probably going to have to Zing it to the moon but that's okay
dont forget about the converter;)

I listened to this(I know it is to watch) and kinda think a powerglide with a gear vendors overdrive would work good with a new iron block Kenny Betts block( http://www.v8buick.com/index.php?th...st-iron-block-from-kenny-betts-racing.338429/ ) with a turbo. You know fer Drag Week or that rocky Mountain drag week.

Nice! Boy, you can tell the guy introducing Earl is not from anywhere near South Louisiana (as he has no idea how to say Schexnayder)! Schexnayder Racing is where the big boys go to get their game face on! At least in this neck of the woods it is anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk