Power Steering Pumps....

Taylor04

Okay I understand that the 86-87 GNs come with reverse rotation (CCW) steering pumps. Does everyone get reman pumps? Where can I buy a nice new aluminum one? I want a new PS pump for the astro van hydroboost setup. I figured this would get more attention in General tech. This is the pump I am looking at, just don't know if it spins CCW:

High Flow Aluminum Power Steerng Pump for T-Bird & GM

Here is the original thread w/ pics:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-suspensions-tires-wheels/322638-getting-closer-hydroboost-any-try-ps-pump.html

Any input?

I just picked up a reman Delco for $50 at the dealer. I have hydroboost too and always wanted to know if anyone makes a new pump instead of remans.

Well is it a simple change?

I know some of you have taken apart these steering pumps. I found the attached diagram and from what I read if you change(reverse?) the order of the valve it will change rotation. I ordered a new pump from napa today, should be here by the end of next week so I will know then. The black pump is a stocker. The aluminum one is the one I want to purchase and hopefully reverse the rotation. They all look pretty similar to me...Any input?

Attachments

• pspump.jpg
    pspump.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 361
  • 732110.jpg
    732110.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 381
  • bsp12020-lg.jpg
    bsp12020-lg.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 340
I know some of you have taken apart these steering pumps. I found the attached diagram and from what I read if you change(reverse?) the order of the valve it will change rotation. I ordered a new pump from napa today, should be here by the end of next week so I will know then. The black pump is a stocker. The aluminum one is the one I want to purchase and hopefully reverse the rotation. They all look pretty similar to me...Any input?

It may be possible to flip the pump ring (also called cam ring) over to reverse the pump rotation. I was going to mention this in your other thread but I am not sure that it will absolutely work.

These pumps are easy to pull apart and reassemble. The last time I did one (about a year ago), I recall there being a mark on the pump ring as to which side is which. And the manual stating to make sure that it is reassembled properly regarding this mark.

So, checking the shop manual now, there is an arrow that defines the direction of rotation. This mark is cast into the pump ring. This ring is held in place by 2 dowel pins.

That seems to make it just too easy. But most likely will work.

In your picture the pump ring is on the lower left. Just to the left of the vanes and round piece with the slots (which hold the vanes). Note that there isn't much more to the left after that.

RemoveBeforeFlight

It may be possible to flip the pump ring (also called cam ring) over to reverse the pump rotation. I was going to mention this in your other thread but I am not sure that it will absolutely work.

These pumps are easy to pull apart and reassemble. The last time I did one (about a year ago), I recall there being a mark on the pump ring as to which side is which. And the manual stating to make sure that it is reassembled properly regarding this mark.

So, checking the shop manual now, there is an arrow that defines the direction of rotation. This mark is cast into the pump ring. This ring is held in place by 2 dowel pins.

That seems to make it just too easy. But most likely will work.

In your picture the pump ring is on the lower left. Just to the left of the vanes and round piece with the slots (which hold the vanes). Note that there isn't much more to the left after that.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thank you very much for the info! I will try flipping the pump/cam ring when the reman pump arrives!

For the above poster: When the photo was taken the car had stock springs and 245s upfront / 275s out back

I'm looking for a brand NEW P/S pump myself. Aluminum would be a bonus, but either way NEW.
What did you find out, and can you pass along some info?

I picked up my reman pump from napa earlier this week. I'm out of town for the weekend but will post up some photos and see if I can get the rotation to reverse. I want a new alum pump too...

I'll have to look around for a new pump. I'd rather new, and prefer new aluminum. But I'd settle for a new cast if I had to.
Let me know how it goes. And if anyone else knows of where I can find a new Power steering pump, feel free to post up here.