Power steering pump, where to buy one...dont want a cardone rebuild

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
Took the car out for a drive. After all the crap I have gone through with the HB system it appears I have a whining that will NOT go away, regardless of flow speed, volume, lucas oil, royal purple, etc etc. Hoses for the return to HB, reservoir were flipped around with no improvement. ALL hoses were checked, re-clamped, even to the point putting teflon around threads on the saginaw type AN adapters to insure no air entering the system. The pump has got to be toast, or Ill be dipped if the pump is not the issue.

Other than Jones Racing, is there anyone out there making a pump for us. $330 is a little steep for me right now.

I know it needs to be reverse rotation.

Check out Kirbans performance they are not new units. They are rebuilds but are high quality.

I know you dont want rebuild but i recently put on a rebuilt one from O'Riley's and so far so good

I know you dont want rebuild but i recently put on a rebuilt one from O'Riley's and so far so good

Yea, I did too. I am running hydroboost and have had some issues, not sure if the extra demand from the unit takes a toll but I am waving a white flag on using reman units.

I had one built from Turn one steering. It's a new aluminum housing. Everything in it is new except the thingy that allows it to reverse flow. That part is not made anymore. It also has been upgraded so it can flow more pressure for the hydroboost.

It was around $350

I've got a used one, a correct quick-ratio unit laying around. You can have it for free if you pay for actual shipping cost.

I rebuilt my own unit. Just bought the seal kit Gates sells and get an new bearing for the front. Parts are under $20 if you have a press you can do it yourself it's not that hard to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rebuilt my own unit. Just bought the seal kit Gates sells and get an new bearing for the front. Parts are under $20 if you have a press you can do it yourself it's not that hard to do.

its a foaming issue so we are fearing it has a vane broken or chipped

I had one built from Turn one steering. It's a new aluminum housing. Everything in it is new except the thingy that allows it to reverse flow. That part is not made anymore. It also has been upgraded so it can flow more pressure for the hydroboost.

It was around $350
did it is address the issue if you had one? are you using a HB?

A broken vane is not going to cause foaming. Air getting in the system will.

Took the car out for a drive. After all the crap I have gone through with the HB system it appears I have a whining that will NOT go away, regardless of flow speed, volume, lucas oil, royal purple, etc etc. Hoses for the return to HB, reservoir were flipped around with no improvement. ALL hoses were checked, re-clamped, even to the point putting teflon around threads on the saginaw type AN adapters to insure no air entering the system. The pump has got to be toast, or Ill be dipped if the pump is not the issue.

Other than Jones Racing, is there anyone out there making a pump for us. $330 is a little steep for me right now.

I know it needs to be reverse rotation.

Detroit speed makes a pump. I think it's like $600 though. I have a pump I know is good if you'd like to try it, you're more then welcome to it. I also bought another one from Kirban a couple of years ago that I put on my frame when I did a full frame restoration. There's a lot of people who have gone to hydro boost and I haven't heard of any real problems with the PS pump. I bought a Hydra Tech kit too though I haven't installed it yet. Hope there's no issues with it.... Good luck!

My pump developed a whine after the HB conversion. I swapped to a rebuilt pump, tried the snake oil PS fluid, and checked for leaks. It's annoying. I should have gone vacuum.

drop Doug a PM i think his TB.com name is "Seeyav6", He converted Mat's car to hydroboost, no noise, no problems just make sure your seat belt is on or you will hit the steering wheel on a sudden stop.

Last edited:
Detroit speed makes a pump. I think it's like $600 though. I have a pump I know is good if you'd like to try it, you're more then welcome to it. I also bought another one from Kirban a couple of years ago that I put on my frame when I did a full frame restoration. There's a lot of people who have gone to hydro boost and I haven't heard of any real problems with the PS pump. I bought a Hydra Tech kit too though I haven't installed it yet. Hope there's no issues with it.... Good luck!
Sent a pm about pump

I have an astro van hb and an ac Delco ps pump and it works great. I also had a car done make noise right out of the box so I would stay away from too. Just my .02

speaking with Jim at Hydratech braking and Jones racing begs to differ
Tear the pump open and stop the speculating. The pump would have to be run almost dry or a big air pocket to get a vane to break/ crack. I would like to know what these other companies are doing to them so they can charge $300 for a rebuilt unit? Besides add -AN fittings.

Decided on using a Jones performance pump...fyi it is a new pump. Chris there is even going to rebuild my old Cardone unit for no charge and look over it. Pump comes with a 3.2 gpm...we shall see how it operates but I have him building me a 2.2 orfice fitting just in case it's too quick. They have the ability to help me adjust this steering exactly as I want it to be with higher relief pressure or gpm...that is piece of mind in my opinion