Power steering pump issues

Dhos1

Self-tuning wanna-be
Just finished up my hydroboost install and my pump will not stop smoking. The lines are correct and it has fluid. Itscalso hot to the touch. Im wondering if i fried it somehow? They say sometimes the pump does not need to be changed, but before i foot for an upgraded pump....any more suggestions? If i need to go another pump route...any suggestions?

What did you use for hydroboost parts? I am using stock stuff from an 84 and the stock 160k mile power steering pump. Did you jack up the front and run the steering lock to lock to "burp" that system? I ran the steering back and forth many times and kept the fluid full to get the air out.

Need more info to diagnose.

Yup...did all of that. Pump is getting hot and sounds like metal to metal and smoking. All parts are new from Tallon. Its getting fluid, because when i removed the line theres fluid in there...maybe its just time for it to go...it almost sounds like marbles in it as it rotates...possible bearing maybe..not sure.

pump sounds shot. Put a drill on the pump with the belt off with an allen socket. This is the way I bleed and make sure all the fluid is rotating correctly and efficiently when I was going through all my HB issues. You will also feel if the pump is shot through the drill.

Is it a different pump? The TR's require reverse rotation, so maybe they rebuilt it wrong if you got a common reman.

Pull belt, grab pulley and see if there's any play. Sounds like you may have smoked a bearing.

Interesting point on the reverse rotating.

Joel

Yup...did all of that. Pump is getting hot and sounds like metal to metal and smoking. All parts are new from Tallon. Its getting fluid, because when i removed the line theres fluid in there...maybe its just time for it to go...it almost sounds like marbles in it as it rotates...possible bearing maybe..not sure.
If your pump is shot--- go to web site SC&C they are in Pa. They now carry new reverse rotation power steering pumps for our cars. These are new not re-mans.