Power Steering Flush Questions

hawkfan

I was siphoning out my old power steering fluid and found this sitting inside the reservoir:

IMG_0349[1].jpg IMG_0348[1].jpg IMG_0350[1].jpg

What is this and is it supposed to be in the reservoir? Another question: What's the best power steering fluid for a TR? I bought some Lucas power steering fluid but want to be sure the car doesn't take ATF like some older cars do. Can't find much specific info.

I found what looked like a ball of steel wool (like for cleaning dishes) in my reservoir, then used Royal Purple PS fluid when I swapped in the hydroboost.

I found what looked like a ball of steel wool (like for cleaning dishes) in my reservoir, then used Royal Purple PS fluid when I swapped in the hydroboost.
I was thinking it was a piece of the reservoir that broke and fell in. Whatever it is/was, I'm not putting it back in there. I was asking about the fluid because I siphoned out what looked like old ATF fluid. I filled it up with Lucas and burped it but there's still a little whine.

After my hydroboost install, my pump was still whining after a few hundred miles, it'll get better

I had a whine in my pump when I installed hydroboost. Once I vacuum bled the system it went away. It's really the best way to do it.

almost looks like a restrictor of some sort. I just use approved power steering fluid. and change it once a year.