Post pics of your hot air set up( under the hood pics)

This peaks my interest....are you saying that with the 86-87 coil pack and module that the plug wires should be routed the same as they were on the stock 84-85 coil pack and module, regardless of the numbers stamped on the 86-87 coil pack? Where is the picture of the plug wire routing under the hood?

The stock TR ignition is a waste spark system and the location of the plug wires does not matter, as long as they correspond with the associated coil. The OEM HA coil may have the wire location designated. Some do, others do not. (Edited for accuracy)

I know someone will state: "The wire location does matter on my car", and while there is no denying the result, the reason for that is: "that's because you are special". :eek: :p

This peaks my interest....are you saying that with the 86-87 coil pack and module that the plug wires should be routed the same as they were on the stock 84-85 coil pack and module, regardless of the numbers stamped on the 86-87 coil pack? Where is the picture of the plug wire routing under the hood?[/quote
The gm replacement coilpack on the car has no numbers on it believe me ive looked , there is a sticker on crossmember near the rad shroud showing brads configuration ,it specifically states 3.8turbo sfi .
I stumbled upon the proper configuration for the car ,according to the dealers manuals for this vin # , i tried it ,it brought the knock down to 0 from the 3 i couldnt seem to shake , unfortunately the stock turbo was literally clouding our judgement at the time . the blowby caused by the failed turbo was causing a consistant increase in knock ,sucking in oil as far away as the oil fill tube .
We argue it all the time , a glass of water doesnt lie sitting on the intake with the engine running an idiot can see it runs smoother , my knock sensor readings drop to 0 from three when the wires are reversed to brads configuration . I dont know about your 86 , ive just read about the 84 hot air alot I know the 84 hot air i work on runs perfect with the wires run opposite than brads or the sticker on the car says

Ok....that's what I was wondering. So, the 84 you've been working on is running a stock replacement 84-85 coil pack and ign module...and is has not been converted to the 86-87 coil/ign module..right? That's the point I was trying to make in my response, that my car, and the other car (Jerryl) that was pictured in this thread have both been converted to the later style coil/ign setup, thus the reversed layout of the plug wires on the coil pack. I have personally swapped the wires back and forth from front to back on the coil pack and noticed no difference....and that, I believe, is what Jerryl was saying about the waste spark configuration. If swapping the wires improved the way the car performs...then I would leave it that way...it can't hurt.

Here a pic of my "hot air" setup :p.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 519
Mine is the same as Brads. It had not been touched for over 17 years. Unless the animals around here are getting smarter. :)
003.JPG

it has not been upgraded to the 86-87 coilpack and it does run better this way than any other configuration. Jerryl your a funny guy , it doesnt matter where the wires go (as long as there in the right spot ) lol

Didn't think my car looked that bad but at least I can drive mine :p
After about a 2 weeks worth of cleaning and fixing vacuum lines and chewed wires it fired right up.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

. . . . Jerryl your a funny guy , it doesnt matter where the wires go (as long as there in the right spot ) lol
Lol. " . . . . .. as long as they correspond with the associated coil. "
I figured it should have been clarified for you. If you take the coil for 1/4, you can swap the wires for those cylinders around, and it should not matter because both fire at the same time.

After about a 2 weeks worth of cleaning and fixing vacuum lines and chewed wires it fired right up.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
I was just bugging but ya it runs fine. Anyways I'm ripping the whole car down this weekend and gonna lift the body off the chassi and send the chassi in to be powder coated

image.jpg
image.jpg

New injectors are going in today and then I will finally clean up this mess under the hood .

Guys, billy is correct. I looked at my OEM coil and it does not have the cyl. numbers listed anywhere. I have edited/corrected my previous post. Sorry for the bad info. :oops: