Possibly moving to Houston - traffic

GNandTTA

We are thinking of possibly moving to Houston and I was wondering what the traffic is like. We are currently in Chicago. On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being New York and Chicago being 9), how does Houston rate? Thanks in advance.

correction

I do not know why that church came up. Go to google and type up houston buick club. lol

Depends on the area, there are a couple of spots around town that get tied up just about every day, but for the most part it's not that bad... I have a ~35 mile one way commute (Sugarland area to JSC/NASA) & it takes me 40-45 mins to get to work in the morning & 45min - 1hr to get home.

HBC addy is www.houstonbuick.org ;)

I have never been to Chicago but several of my friends have been there. They all told me the traffic there is worse though. Do you have any idea what part of Houston you'll be in?

If you donlt do good in traffic, and value time at home to work on your car ;) , buy a home close to work, or in an area where you pick the routes carefully (against the traffic), based on "the window of opportunity"! :D

Lots of activities in the HBC and Robert and Nick do a fantastic job! :cool:

Chicago is worse in my opinion. Houston can be bad if you go to the wrong places at the wrong times. Once you know when things are bad and don't go there at that time of day.

Reference needed

Greetings I have a customer that has relocated to the Houston area. He's an older guy & doesn't deal with stressful car issues very well. Loves his car & pays his bills. I need someone in his area for him to deal with. It's not convenient for me to fly out just work on his car.Claims that he hasn't had any luck finding a good shop to take his car to. I have his car at my shop right now & have thoroughly gone through anything I could think of. Would appreciate a reputable reference .Regards Lou

Greetings I have a customer that has relocated to the Houston area. He's an older guy & doesn't deal with stressful car issues very well. Loves his car & pays his bills. I need someone in his area for him to deal with. It's not convenient for me to fly out just work on his car.Claims that he hasn't had any luck finding a good shop to take his car to. I have his car at my shop right now & have thoroughly gone through anything I could think of. Would appreciate a reputable reference .Regards Lou
Sorry, Meant to post this as a new thread, no high jacking intended.

Hey Lou,
Not many of us in the Houston are lucky enough to have a good shop, with someone as knowledgeable as you are, who want to make an honest living, and do it for the love of the cars.

Now, “we” have never met, but I read the boards from time to time ;) , and I wish I could find a shop like yours.

So, here in Houston, we kinda have to stick together, but most do their own work.
The Houston Buick Club has members that help each other, and, I have occasionally worked on a few cars, for the love of the cars.
I already have a job, and am very busy, so it is a hobby. :cool:

There are some fast cars in Houston, no doubt, and, there are also some reputable TR owners in Texas who do some work, but not necessarily in Houston. (Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Richmond)
At least, none I would personally trust, especially not with a HA. :eek:

So, I guess it all depends on the work that is required.
Basic stuff, engine rebuild, trans rebuild, etc.
Anyway, probably not the reply you were looking or hoping for, but, just trying to "Keep it real". :biggrin:

I will help the owner where I can, for the "love of the cars"
Just send me a PM if it sounds like something that can be done.

Thanks jerryl I't recieved a rebuilt engine & a complete going over encludeing a Len Freeman trans,Minor paint work & bumper fillers, He is paronoid about overheating so it got an alum. radiator & dual fans. the car is real nice & just needs a good shop to keep it that way. I don't think anyone could keep thier doors open just working on Buicks. I sold my big shop & scaled down to a one man operation. I'm semi retired & able to just work on TR's & will do so till there are no more or I'm in the ground.21 Years ago little did I know that these cars would take up so much of my life. They are full of surprises & still keep me on my toes. My personel car is GNX 176 # 13K miles & a beauty. I understand that my old friend Lawerence Connely is up in your area & has had some health issues. Hope he is OK. So take care & my ph.num is listed if you guys need any advise. Regards Lou

LC had a triple bypass yesterday, but is recovering well. I'm sure his family would appreciate any prayers or well wishes you'd care to send up.

Most knowledgable turbo buick shop left in the H-town area since LC retired would have to be Century Transmission. Mike Kurtz definately knows these rides in & out, particularly the transmission & he has a good reputation for sure. Earl Howe was also doing some TR work, but I'm not sure if he's still doing so since he bought a place out in the TX hill country.

LC had a triple bypass yesterday, but is recovering well. I'm sure his family would appreciate any prayers or well wishes you'd care to send up.

Most knowledgable turbo buick shop left in the H-town area since LC retired would have to be Century Transmission. Mike Kurtz definately knows these rides in & out, particularly the transmission & he has a good reputation for sure. Earl Howe was also doing some TR work, but I'm not sure if he's still doing so since he bought a place out in the TX hill country.
Thanks I will pass that along, anyone know how I can get in touch with Lawrence I know how to get his heart pounding again, Just talk about the good old days when we used to try & crush the mustangs at English town. Damn v/8's & their nitrous.Broke alot of parts back then doing it.

Thanks I will pass that along, anyone know how I can get in touch with Lawrence I know how to get his heart pounding again, Just talk about the good old days when we used to try & crush the mustangs at English town. Damn v/8's & their nitrous.Broke alot of parts back then doing it.

lou its past your bed time...;)