POS broke again!

GNsnake

I broke something last night. I thought it was a head gasket and it still might be that also along with other stuff. I heard a loud pop and lots of smoke poured from the car. The car died and has no compression at all when I try to start it. Maybe the timing chain broke, I'm not sure at this point. It happened at over 100mph. Any ideas?

No datalog. The car just makes a whizzing noise when I try to start it. No compression.

No datalog... no wonder you call it a POS.

Could be tons of things, keep an eye on it and **** like that won't happen.

Sounds like...

No datalog. The car just makes a whizzing noise when I try to start it. No compression.

your idea of a broken chain, is about right... Unless the crank snapped.
Pull the breather out and watch to see if the valves are moving.
Better yet, just pull the engine, as there's likely bent/broken valves, fubar pistons, etc...

My guess is you blew a head gasket, filled a cylinder or two with antifreeze or water, and when you tried to start it it cracked the starter since it wouldnt spin over.

It does sound like a timing chain/gear problem. Is the motor stock? Ever been rebuilt? How many miles on the motor?

Thanks for your input Kenny, so I guess a datalogger will instantly make these cars bullet proof. That's laughable. They will break with or without it.

Thanks for your input Kenny, so I guess a datalogger will instantly make these cars bullet proof. That's laughable. They will break with or without it.

@ 100 mph things happen quick :eek: now ya have something to do today instead of sitting around eating turkey :p

I can't count the number of passes I've put on a stock motor running the same times as your car, never once hurt it. Guess that was luck. :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about that man, atleast your safe and oil or something didn't hit you tires at that rate of speed.:cool:

As jasjamz already mentioned, sounds like a head gasket. I had a very similiar problem a couple years ago with mine.

Did you check the oil for milkshake? Is oil in your radiator by chance? Also, keep in mind if you don't have milkshake, does'nt mean your head gasket blew. Possibly could be your intake gasket? I had my Mustang do that not to long ago, and Buick's have done it too. Just do a compression check and you will hopefully find you problem.

RB

I doubt..

My guess is you blew a head gasket, filled a cylinder or two with antifreeze or water, and when you tried to start it it cracked the starter since it wouldnt spin over.

the starter was involved at >100mph!:D

The car is not stock. It makes/made over 500whp. I have a Scanmaster on the car. I was running 23 psi and 23/23 timing, the way I always run it. I have been running this tune for over 10 months and no issues. The most kr I have ever seen is 1.6*, gave it a little fuel kr was gone. My best pass was 11.25@121mph with a 1.77 60 time earlier this month. The car felt great and was pulling really hard when the carnage happened. Here's the combo:

TE60/.63 garrett hsg, champion irons, champion intake, 206 roller kit, 60's, TT chip, Razor's alky, Ls1 maf/T+, Mease SLIC, THDP, Janis transmission, Precision 3200 5 disc l/u converter, stock bottom end, 516rwhp/555rwt @23psi, 562rwhp/578rwt converter locked, assembled and tuned at KDK Performance Orlando Fl.

I ment he could have been hearing the starter spinning...

the starter was involved at >100mph!:D

...when they won't kick out etc... after being broken by kick backs or attempting to crank after a HG issue. I had a head water jacket blow thru and smoke like crazy while making a test hit. Pulled over and tried to restart it and got a kick back. Waited a min and tried it again and got a pop and spark at the battery post. The cylinder was filling with antifreeze/water. I was told it could have broken the starter if I kept trying to start it.

Guess should have clarified my post. No biggie Chuck. :biggrin:
A scanmaster alone updates kinda slow. So you may have caught the 1.6* of knock but had 2.8* the frame before that which the scanmaster didn't show you. Car runs good, but if tuned for no knock at "maybe" it would have lasted longer.HTH

The car is not stock. It makes/made over 500whp. I have a Scanmaster on the car. I was running 23 psi and 23/23 timing, the way I always run it. I have been running this tune for over 10 months and no issues. The most kr I have ever seen is 1.6*, gave it a little fuel kr was gone. My best pass was 11.25@121mph with a 1.77 60 time earlier this month. The car felt great and was pulling really hard when the carnage happened. Here's the combo:

TE60/.63 garrett hsg, champion irons, champion intake, 206 roller kit, 60's, TT chip, Razor's alky, Ls1 maf/T+, Mease SLIC, THDP, Janis transmission, Precision 3200 5 disc l/u converter, stock bottom end, 516rwhp/555rwt @23psi, 562rwhp/578rwt converter locked, assembled and tuned at KDK Performance Orlando Fl.

sorry but as the expression goes "**** happeneds" .. It is also a known factor is that its not "if" it breaks BUT "when" it breaks . nature of the beast an just part of the game :cool:

You get a ****ping 9 frames of data from a Scanmaster on an 11.25 pass. Get a wideband on it, use a Powerlogger and make sure it's dialed in. You'll be less likely to hurt the motor.

I used to put 10+ passes on my car a night every weekend running ETs faster than yours. Stock crank, rods, pistons, etc. Never hurt it. Not trying to be a dick, just trying to give you some insight on tuning...

It does sound like a broken chain, though.

There was 0 kr on that run. The 1.6* kr happened months ago. Anyway it's down for the winter. Now I have to decide on what I want to build. I guess I'll go with a DLS stroker and get a pwoerlogger also while I'm at it. I will have this one repaired in the mean time.

There was 0 kr on that run. The 1.6* kr happened months ago. Anyway it's down for the winter. Now I have to decide on what I want to build. I guess I'll go with a DLS stroker and get a pwoerlogger also while I'm at it. I will have this one repaired in the mean time.
not bieng smart but most of the times its not the run you just finished that could of hurt the motor its previous tuning trials that slowly hurt the motor. just beacuse there was no knock doesnt mean that the motor was not hurt prior to run. that last pass was the straw that broke the camels back or timing chain?