Plug wires ? lets talk OHMs per/Ft

Turbo Keith

TURBO KEITH
Here are some readings I got from my Ohm meter set on 20k , One of the sets is on the T Type I just bought and the other is wires I have , both are AC Delco 8mm , Nothing special . The reading 0.10 and 0.09 is the Russ Merritt style wires ( MSD 8.5 ) thats on my GN . My question is does it really make that much difference ? My GN has all the fun up grades as you can see in my sig and running bout 26+ lbs of boost with the RM wires and my other car that I just bought is stock and gonna stay that way with maybe a pump , hot wire , chip and afpr . So should I be concerned about those readings on my stock car ? Thank you Guys as always for the help . Keith
IMG_1095 (1).jpg
IMG_1088.jpg
IMG_1087.jpg
IMG_1086.jpg
IMG_1085.jpg

I think there is a thread with several brands of wires tested. If I remember correctly, Kirban's stock style wires had the least resistance of that style wire. Don't remember which of the aftermarket fat wires was best. The least resistance the better the spark so maybe it wouldn't make a huge difference on a stocker but the engine might run and idle better.

Those numbers are right in line with what I found. I ran 10.91 in TSA ( 10.66 in TTS ) with a set of the Highway Stars reproduction wires that ohm out the same as low mileage factory ones. For a mild car they will be fine. Just remember that carbon core wires burn the carbon in the core as mileage goes up making them wear out and become more resistant as time goes on.

I remember now about a tread talking about wires but I couldn't find it , also what is the proper length for the wires ? or where could I find that info , Thanks Keith

Yes, that's the thread I was thinking of.

Kirban use to list the length of the wires when you purchased his. I don't remember if it is listed on his parts for sale website.

I'm a big fan of Kirban's plug wires. Excellent bang for the buck.
Smooth idle and good looks. This is my 3rd set I've run over the years. White "87 Limited, Blue "87 T and now Legend.

I've run many different brands over the years. Magnecor 10mm were the go too for years. Then MSD and Taylor stepped up their game. I've always preferred the stock look on a street car. Race car hp, is a whole different ball game though.

-Patrick-

Those numbers are right in line with what I found. I ran 10.91 in TSA ( 10.66 in TTS ) with a set of the Highway Stars reproduction wires that ohm out the same as low mileage factory ones. For a mild car they will be fine. Just remember that carbon core wires burn the carbon in the core as mileage goes up making them wear out and become more resistant as time goes on.

Great info in that post and real world testing. :)

I have 2 brand new sets of the Quad Air's wires. One set is on a car and I believe they had a lifetime warranty on them but......I have had no issues with the ones that are on the car at all , they have been on for about 14 years now at least. Might be about time to swap a set out.

I know wires break down from hest and ozone. Does the electricity running through them break down the conducter as well?

If you're going to look at the ohm value rule of thumb for the most part is 4 to 6 thousand ohms per foot that's pretty much industry standard in the mechanicing world

By the way I will say this I'm with turbobit no need to put a lot of stock in that unless you're having problems with a single cylinder what you really need to look for is huge difference in value between plug wires kind of like doing a compression test if all the holes are pretty equal you're good if you have one this down a lot compared to the rest you know there's a problem

If they are wire wound you are just measuring the resistance of the thin wire winding around the carbon core the spark ain't going down that thin little wire but it makes for good sales have really low resistance lol

Sometime when you are bored, measure the resistance of the spark plug itself. That "R" in R43 or whatever you run means resistance. And it's high.