Plug gap

turbo chris1970

Engine bay
This is the most basic question but I trusted auto boneheadz to tell me the gaping on my new plugs and after all that work especially the dreaded plug#6 job the car is not firing right so can someone give me their opinion the best plugs and the gaping please!!!! Thanks guys and gals , Chris

Knowing your build and current boost would be helpful.
Here's my combo stock block stock motor 67,000 miles stock heads 3"down pipe turbonetics62mm. Stock inter cooler translator ver, 6.23 iimpala ss MAF 60lb injectors with Eric's chip burned for that combo A/R
Stock wide and gauge knock boost temp fuel preasure is good temp 160
Boost is set at 17lbs

Here's my combo stock block stock motor 67,000 miles stock heads 3"down pipe turbonetics62mm. Stock inter cooler translator ver, 6.23 iimpala ss MAF 60lb injectors with Eric's chip burned for that combo A/R
Stock wide and gauge knock boost temp fuel preasure is good temp 160
Boost is set at 17lbs

This is one of those questions where if you ask 10 different people you’ll get 10 different answers. lol. Generally speaking, Autolite 24’s, NGK UR5, or AC Delco CR43TS or R43TS, all gapped at .035 or a little tighter will do you just fine for your build. If you decide to raise boost above ~20lbs then you might want to try Autolite 23’s or AC Delco R42TS or CR42TS. I have tried every one of these plugs at some point with different gaps (depending on my boost at the time) and couldn’t tell you the difference between any of them, but that’s just me. I don’t beat on my cars and don’t race them so maybe that’s the difference?

AC Delco gets a bad rap these days because their quality may not be what it once was but I use them and they work fine for me. If you choose NGK’s watch out for those made in China knockoffs. Everyone has their favorites and has their reasons for selecting one plug over another. I’m sure they’ll chime in shortly. Or, you could always do a search and end up with a headache afterwards and still not know which plug to use. Happy choosing :D

Last edited:
First, stay away from any platinum plugs. Next, I'd start off with a copper Autolite 26 @.032. Test it to see how it runs/performs, then pull one to see what it looks like afterwards. You can always work your way down towards an Autolite 24, if you don't like how the 26 runs or looks after pulling. At about $2 a plug, it's cheap to test em. And the Autolites just flat out run. Btw, I think an Autolite 23 would be too cold of a plug for you to run in your set-up, even with higher boost.

Also, a helpful tip for pulling plug #6 the next time is to invest in a swivel and 3-4 ft extension. You'll find how simple this makes pulling that plug and also tightening it.

Last edited:
Also, a helpful tip for pulling plug #6 is to invest in a swivel and 3-4 ft extension.
Yes, definitely easier with a swivel and long extension. Although I find the #3 plug to be a little more of a pain for me. Another good tip is to take 10" - 12" of fuel line hose that fits the terminal end of the plug snugly. With the hose stuck on the end of the plug it makes it easier to thread the plug in and twist the hose instead of struggling to get your hand in there. Once you get it threaded pull the hose off and followup with the socket.

This is one of those questions where if you ask 10 different people you’ll get 10 different answers. lol. Generally speaking, Autolite 24’s, NGK UR5, or AC Delco CR43TS or R43TS, all gapped at .035 or a little tighter will do you just fine for your build. If you decide to raise boost above ~20lbs then you might want to try Autolite 23’s or AC Delco R42TS or CR42TS. I have tried every one of these plugs at some point with different gaps (depending on my boost at the time) and couldn’t tell you the difference between any of them, but that’s just me. I don’t beat on my cars and don’t race them so maybe that’s the difference?

AC Delco gets a bad rap these days because their quality may not be what it once was but I use them and they work fine for me. If you choose NGK’s watch out for those made in China knockoffs. Everyone has their favorites and has their reasons for selecting one plug over another. I’m sure they’ll chime in shortly. Or, you could always do a search and end up with a headache afterwards and still not know which plug to use. Happy choosing :D
I got home after I posted to you and pulled the plugs and re- gapped my plugs and like magic she is running like she should thanks for your help
Happy boosting ChrisChris

First, stay away from any platinum plugs. Next, I'd start off with a copper Autolite 26 @.032. Test it to see how it runs/performs, then pull one to see what it looks like afterwards. You can always work your way down towards an Autolite 24, if you don't like how the 26 runs or looks after pulling. At about $2 a plug, it's cheap to test em. And the Autolites just flat out run. Btw, I think an Autolite 23 would be too cold of a plug for you to run in your set-up, even with higher boost.

Also, a helpful tip for pulling plug #6 the next time is to invest in a swivel and 3-4 ft extension. You'll find how simple this makes pulling that plug and also tightening it.
It took me under 5 min to pull that #6 plug and no busted knuckles thanks for writing and advice , Chris