Plug for GNX dash installs

Sweet!!!!!!!! We need one.....
What about the VSS??? use the orginal/factory??

The prototype uses the factory VSS buffer pickup affixed to the speedometer using a special plug with mounting bracket. This is still up in the air as the SW speedometers need to be modified to accommodate the VSS pickup, i.e. hole drilled into the case to focus on the speedo magnet reluctor.

Hopefully final production will have this feature which would make it a real simple installation. It's all about working with Stewart Warner to access the speedometer housings prior to final assembly.

However, if not, the in-line Hall-Effect pickup and modified VSS buffer will be plan B.

What VSS system will those of us who want to use more modern SW or VDO gauges in the GNX bezel, need? I'm looking at using the SW competition electronic speedo, will the harness accomodate this and the two wire lights in most modern gauges? Don't get me wrong, the original SW "heavy duty" gauges were a great step up 20+ years ago, but rather marginal by todays standards. I would think that a good half of the people who by the dash from Paul will only buy the mounting Bezels and supply their own gauges.

Just my two bits in regards to the potential market for this harness.......I don't deny that I could be the only one thinking this way:eek:

Either way, I will be buying the harness, just might have to do some minor tweaks myself.

Ideally, the VSS pickup attaches to the gauge and looks at the interrupter. That's ideal because the buffer controls both VSS to the ECM and road speed to feed your cruise control.

Plan B: You would install a Hall Effect type sender into the cable, preferably at the junction just outside of the firewall, near the powermaster unit. Then, you would feed that VSS signal into a "modified" VSS Buffer box, where the IR LED pickup gets removed and the Hall setup gets fed into that wiring. It would involve modifying the VSS buffer to accommodate the three wire Hall switch - adding a small connector and a resistor into the circuit to make them work with each other.

Plan C involves a Hall Effect sender, converter module to scale the VSS signal and send to the ECM, and signal amplifier to feed the cruise control. This would be the least cost-effective way to do it, but would work OK.

There are a few ways to skin the cat.