Piston ring suggestions for 4.1?

6SENSE

291 casting 4.1 from a '84 Riv. STD bore now but will be going with .020 forged pistons. What are the rings to go with and where can I get them?

Thanks!

6SENSE said:
291 casting 4.1 from a '84 Riv. STD bore now but will be going with .020 forged pistons. What are the rings to go with and where can I get them?

Thanks!
I am using Diamond rings that came with my custom pistons, the are catalog for file fit 4.00 for an SBC, I'm running them on my 3.995 4.1 after a lot of filing. With a 3.985 bore you might be a bit small for 4.00 file fit rings.

Is it going to be tough to find file to fit rings for this setup?
Ive been doing search after search for the past few days and reading up on bearings and rings and there is definately multiple opinions as far as what to go with. Total seals sound great but then there is the question of gapless on the top or just on the second. Then there are some that dont like them at all. Would just some file fit moly speed pros be the way to go? Are they even available for my app?
I found these rings at Advance Auto Parts site. The Clevite #4253020 looks to be for .020 pistons by the 20 at the end of the #. These are under the "Premium" ring category that they offer as a choice, but doesnt say anything about them being file to fit. Anyone know anything about these?

Rings!!!

Hastings molly rings part # 2M5619-20, available @ Autozone, 50? dollars.

By the way how far are you off from finishing your 4.1 project ? I'm doing one also, I have all the parts I need except a girdle.

boostmaster said:
Hastings molly rings part # 2M5619-20, available @ Autozone, 50? dollars.

By the way how far are you off from finishing your 4.1 project ? I'm doing one also, I have all the parts I need except a girdle.
Thanks. Do you know if those are file fit?
Not sure if I can even afford to be considering the high dollar Total seal rings even if they do have for my app. My machinist told me if I can get them then great otherwise to just get some good ductile rings.

As far as the project, its coming along. One step at a time. I just need to make final decisions on all the bearings and rings and get some arp main studs. Then I can think about balancing. After that need arp head bolts and some other bolt on odds and ends since Im trying not to steal from my current engine.

I'm running total seals in my .035 4.1. I know parts are easier to find and cheaper with a 4" bore which was my only reason for going .035 over instead of the minimum.

Rings!!!

Thanks for the response, no they are not file fit but they are a quality ring. Do a search, they are very popular.

I have a set of J/E 4.020 file fit rings new in the box. If your interested, I would take $100 shipped for them.

67turboCamaro said:
I have a set of J/E 4.020 file fit rings new in the box. If your interested, I would take $100 shipped for them.
Thanks, I will be getting necessary measurements from block with my machinist Monday. I will let you know ;)